Starter Brush Kit

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

yama68
Noob
Noob

Starter Brush Kit

Post by yama68 »

Does anyone know where I can purchase a starter brush kit for a 1987 Spree? I have already tried the local elecrical repair shop and the Honda Dealer. Repair shop said the replacement brushes have to come from the manufacturer of the starter and Honda doesn't break down the starter. Thanks
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No need to make more that one post and I dont think you can. Your best bet is to buy a cheap ebay starter or find somebody with a smoked one.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:No need to make more that one post and I dont think you can. Your best bet is to buy a cheap ebay starter or find somebody with a smoked one.
Yeah, I went down this road earlier this year. I found it impossible to locate or fabricate replacement brushes. I ended up just buying a new starter.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Starter brushes for Mitsuba starter used in Spree/Gyro/Aero

Post by mousewheels »

I posted this earlier this year, Mitsuba built more than Honda starters with the same brushes. I placed dimensions in the original post, so you can measure yours to be sure. My Gyro and a Spree starter at home both fit up with the LT-80 brushes fine.

Jackssmallengines.com still has the brushes, but the cost went up a bit, here's some info copied from their site.

---------------
LT-80 Quadsport 87-04 Mitsuba CS90/LT80 2 Part# 6232705

Our Price: $14.99

P.S. You might ask them about the contents of Repair kit Part# 6233701 Our Price: $34.16. I belive it will contain the output ball bearing, can side bushing and brushes.

dave

--- Pasted from earlier post ----
I've disassembled Mitsuba built Spree, TG50 Gyro, Aero and and a pre-94 Elite SA50 starters. All starters had the same size brushes.

After taking measurements, the hunt was on....

I found the Suzuki LT80 quad starter also made by Mitsuba used the same brush, but the motor itself is different and would not fit our scooters.

There's many sources for the LT80 brush. One is jackssmallengines.com. Current price is under $10 for a pair.

LT50 Brush dimensions:
7.3mm across the length of the commutator
4.8mm wide
5.5mm vertical height - commutator to top of copper pigtail end
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Thanks for the info!