Still only runs and starts with finger on bystarter hole???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

I posted this before http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4838

I am on my second bystarter and I know this one is good.

F ing thing will only run and start with my finger completly covering the hole where the bystarter plugs into???

I have to be missing something simple here. The connections are good and the yellow wire off the bystarter is getting power when the engine is running. new connections on both the hot and ground wires. Carb is clean, new Float, new reed valve, new plug, cleaned the gas tank, blew out the fuel filter. Fresh gas, Honda oil. What gives, PLEASE HELP.

Thanks, My wife wants to ride the spree to work more than she wants to drive the civic. Help a guy out here.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Two things, first wire the bystarter back to the yellow wires. These come directly from the generator. They are AC power not DC, you will burn up your regulator because the bystarter takes up allot of power. (Dont look like it but it does) Second, you are sucking air from somewhere. If it starts great with your finger plugging the bystarter hole then you are shutting off the enrichment circuit on the carb. (unchoked) When the bystarter expands it closes that circuit (finger over hole) When its cold (bystarter open) then its letting air into the enrichment circuit. (choked) Make sense? :?
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Okay, So re wire the bystarter, I have it wired right now in the stock configuration, Yellow to yellow, green to green?

Second, what you explained makes sense but where could air be getting in from? With the engine running (finger covering hole) I sprayed some brake cleaner on the intake and all of the mating surfaces of the carb. it did not bog down or stall or run faster, so I can seem to find any air leaks?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Spray around the case seals and the head and jug seals while it running. You might have to take off the shrouds.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Also dont use brake cleaner it has a very low flash point. Use carb cleaner or starting fluid.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Well I tinkered again with it tonight and might as well take it to someone now. Same problem. I can just put the bystarter loosly in the hole, not seating it all the way and it will run and start but the bystarter is very loose and moves around a lot. Basically setting the retaining ring in the groove closest to the needle. Not fully seated where the second groove farthest from the needle will hold the retaining ring.

. I forgot to mention. when I got this the prior owner cut the yellow wire and it was taped off. so the bystarter was not functioning at all. I saw this and decided to correct it, So maybe this is the problem. I sent my original (cut by PO) bystarter to upsmale who told me it was bad. So I got another one from him. I also dont have a bystarter cover if that makes any difference. The spree was running okay before I cleaned the carb and started addressing the bystarter problem. So I dont think I have any air leaks from the head or elsewhere.

But this is killing me, I have had the carb apart 4 times and still
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

With the bystarter in and bolted down will it run with your fingers over the airbox holes? Do you have an air filter? What is your needle set at?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

I will try to run it with the airbox hole covered, I do have an OEM air filter, Clean and oiled properly.

I dont see where there are multiple holes in the airbox. i will look harder though now.

As far as where the needle is set Im not sure what your asking? I will take some photos if that will help. Does it make sense what I am talking about with the two different grooves in the Bystarter? I can screw down the retainer half circle in two different spots. one the bystarter is really seated down in the hole. This seems to be the right depth for it. it s pretty secure in this position. The second postion is to have the bystarter not seated all the way down. it fits loosly and does alow air to seep in from the edges. It spins back and forth freely even when "bolted" down. I dont think this is correct. But I am not sure.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

All the way down or your first explanation is the correct way.
michaelg
Noob
Noob

Post by michaelg »

Not trying to hijack the thread........but.....

with the bystarter in the extended postion the choke is "on" or "engaged" and when it is retracted it is "off"?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

There should be an oring on the lower grove. There are two tubes coming off the airbox lid(I suppose you could say its a divided rectangle), will it run alright if you plug them with your fingers? Needle is the brass needle on the throttle slide if you take it apart there are 3 or 5 notches on the needle with a clip, the clips position determines the fuel/air mix.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Okay, I tried to put a few rubber washers under the bystarter to see if that would seal up some air and make any difference.

with three small washers there I was able to start it up and run it for a bit, So at least My finger is not over the hole.

I think it warmed up enough and then it would not restart without my pulling up slightly on the bystarter to allow some more air inside.

I will try again tonight to plug up the airbox holes and see what happens.

Understood on the throttle slide. I will report back. Where or how many notches should I move the Clip, More toward the needle or away from it or just try it till it hopefully works. (NEVER MIND) I got it off of the manual. I will see where its at and move the clip to see if that helps the situation.

Apprecieate the feedback guys.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Okay, There are no holes other than the one large one going to the carb in the airbox. I plugged this hole with my two fingers and the engine will not start or run, It sputtered a bit and that was all. To the point where gas was leaking out of the carb bottom.

I checked the throttle Needle clip, It was on the 4th position, meaning standard per the manual. I moved it to the second position, no go.

I then moved it to the 4th position. No go

Both times if I moved the bystarter up and held it over the hole the engine would run and start. But in the 4th postion there was lots of blue smoke.

What do you all think?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Clean the carb again, use compressed air. Make sure the float is not sinking.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

I have cleaned the carb three times, All times it sat in the jug of carb dip for probably over an hour, Blew it out all times with 80 PSI of compressed air, cleaned every opening with a single small wire. The float is brand new OEM. Brand new in that it has less than 2 miles on it.

I will take a photo of the float and let you guys tell me if it needs to be adjusted or not.