Carb [?] problem - '86 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Carb [?] problem - '86 Spree

Post by ShochuJohn »

Well, my leaky carb problem from several months ago has not reoccurred, but now from gasoline excess I have gone to gasoline famine.

A few days ago, it shut down while I was riding it. No warning, no sputter, just running great one second and off the next. It was so sudden that my first thought was an electrical problem, like it stopped getting spark. That, however, was not it. It has nice blue/white spark (I even threw a new plug in), and it will burn starting fluid. The carb is getting fuel (will come out the drain plug), but nothing is getting to the cylinder. So, I figure it has to be the carb, BUT I took it all apart and shot carb cleaner through every hole. As far as I can tell, it's completely clean. The problem remains, however.

So, question one, does everyone agree that it has to be the carb?
Question two, does anyone understand the carb enough to give me a specific idea of where therein the problem lies?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Reeds?

-aseigler
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

Reeds are beautiful.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

How is the compression? You might of broke a piston.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

So EVERY port on the carb flows? Have you checked for compression?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

Could be maybe something got sucked into the petcock while running. I know from much frustration, that the "C.R.A.P" (Carb/Reeds/Autobystarter/Petcock) combination seem to be about 95% of the problems with Sprees when they either..
A) Sit for a long time
B) Sputter
C) Underpowered
D) Feel free to add to this list

Good Luck!

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Did you unscrew the jets and see light through the holes .All it takes is for something small to block them up and your done running.
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

I unscrewed the main jet and shot it all out with carb cleaner. I know that one is clean. Looking at the air intake side, when I spray the six o'clock hole, it comes out the main jet and the top (where the throttle needle would be). When I spray the seven o'clock hole, it blows out the bottom needle thing running next to the main jet and the top. When I spray the 10 o'clock hole, it sprays out where the bystarter would be.

I don't have a compression tester, and frankly if that is my problem, I won't be able to get to it for awhile. It will sputter/run for a second or two if I put gas directly into the cylinder. Would it do this if it had a cracked piston?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you have a blown anything it probably wouldn't even turn over. Pour a tablespoon of oil down your plughole crank it over a few times and replace the plug, will it run now? Speaking of plugs how is the color? I suppose a dirty carb could have leaned it out and smoked something.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

It still sounds like a gas flow problem because you say it runs when starter fluid is shot into it. Disconnect your vacuum line and gas line from the carb end. Suck on the end of the vacuum line and see if gas comes out of the gas line. Just make sure you suck on the right hose. If no gas comes out of the gas line then your petcock is shot.
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

@Kenny: Just tried that. I when I first put the plug in, it would not turn over at all, so I took the plug out, cranked it a few more times, and now it is harder to turn over. No change in starting status. It continues to run off of starting fluid for a couple seconds and that's all. This is good news on the compression front, at least, isn't it? The plug I pulled out of it is cocoa brown with some black mixed in there. It's certainly not lean-out white, and again, the Spree ran really well before it just stopped. The carb was clean when I initially pulled it out as well, which makes sense given that I first rebuilt it in late December, and it was clean then. The only foreign object I found in there was that particle that was blocking my float needle in February. If there is another particle lodged in there somewhere that the carb cleaner is failing to blow out, I don't know how to locate it. Should I find a thin wire and start probing around with it?

@hondaman: The petcock is fine. I've already checked it. What I know is that fuel is getting delivered to the carb because it will come out the bowl when the drain screw is loosened, but it is not getting to the cylinder, which is brings us back to where I started. I am pretty sure the carb has to be the problem, but I can't figure out how to troubleshoot the problem within the carb. Bathing both it and myself with shots of carb cleaner didn't resolve the issue.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Again I say can you see light through the body of the jets. Did you take the carb apart and screw them out from the half they are in. That would be the only place to use a wire. Poke through the little holes and hold them up to a light. You will be able to see light shining through the holes if they are not plugged. Use a tiny wire like a guitar string to poke through them. Every tiny hole must be clear for your carb to work. If your engine is getting gas and spark it has to run unless something major is wrong inside. You seem to have eliminated the gas to the carb as the problem. It has to be the carb is not getting gas to the cylinder. Take it apart and do what I said.
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

Well, as I said, I unscrewed and took apart the main jet. It's clean. I can see light through the tube when it's disassembled and a tiny pinprick of light when it's assembled. Are there any other jets? Is that little tube that runs parallel to the main jet (and intersects the fuel/air mixture screw) also a jet? I don't see any way to take that apart.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

theres a brass tube thats pressed in next to where the main jet is. CAREFULLY, get a pair of pliers, or better yet vic grips and remove that brass tube. its called the idle jet. once u remove that tube, u should c light through it. if not its plugged. look in the carb to. u will prolly have dirt in there to. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

I was unable to remove the idle jet. I successfully created plier marks on it, but that's about it. It ain't budging. How do I get it out without breaking it?