Replaced belt, now it won't start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Replaced belt, now it won't start

Post by GIJoeBob »

I needed to put a new belt on my spree. I picked up a belt at NAPA (9.5/10mm x 650mm) and got it all put back together and now it won't start. It sounds like the battery is run down when I try to start it and it doesn't make a difference when connected to a charger.

Could the starter motor be in a bind? I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary when it all went back together.

HELP!!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

could be pull off the cover and have a look, maybe the belt is too short and tight?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

My brother in law came by on his way back from a motorcycle rally and looked over the situation. He suggested we connect the battery terminals to a charger and try that.

I had done this already up to 40 amps and I didn't think that little motor would take more. He didn't see the logic in that.

He cranked it up to 200 amps and the motor naturally fried. :?

I have bits left over from when my father-in-law ruined another starter so perhaps I can combine the two into a working starter.

Anybody out there have a good deal on any starters? :roll:
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Motorcycles and scooters don't mix. Keep the brother-in-law away from your scooter. He may know motorcycles but scooters are a whole different story. The same goes for your father in law.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Looks like you have some pretty stupid inlaws, forcing things either causes them to work or break, sometimes both. He owes you a starter for being a dumbass.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

200 Amps? Do you mean volts? I think that it takes less than 1 amp to kill a human so i think 200 amps would have set fire to your scooter.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

jstone wrote:200 Amps? Do you mean volts? I think that it takes less than 1 amp to kill a human so i think 200 amps would have set fire to your scooter.
You have obviously never seen a REAL battery charger.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
jstone wrote:200 Amps? Do you mean volts? I think that it takes less than 1 amp to kill a human so i think 200 amps would have set fire to your scooter.
You have obviously never seen a REAL battery charger.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Oh... ok. I gues i'm an idiot. It just didn't make sense to me because usually when we talked about amps in college physics it was milliamps and we never got close to talking about anything like 200 amps, but i guess i was wrong.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Lol take classes in college physics and dont know what a battery charger is, we are dealing with 200 amps at 12 volts, watts is the universal thing that will tell you how much power is kinking around. A wall outlet puts out around 1800 watts, that battery charger outputs around 2400(in a short burst using a capacitor or something along those lines as the outlet cant supply that much power)
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I pieced together a starter and got everything reassembled and I am now back to the original problem.

I think the belt is sticking or binding somehow. In looking at the drive mechanism I don't see any way to adjust the two different pulleys.

Here are photos comparing the old belt with the new one.

Any ideas?

GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Has anyone out there ever used a non-Honda belt in their Spree? Just wondering.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Automotive belts are made for low rpm and have a different angle cut, you could put a washer between the ramp and boss, this will bottom out the belt and not stall the engine.
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

stillspeeding wrote:Automotive belts are made for low rpm and have a different angle cut, you could put a washer between the ramp and boss, this will bottom out the belt and not stall the engine.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

if that don't work Honda still has the right belt in stock
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express