Loss of top end, especially when warm -- reed problem???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Loss of top end, especially when warm -- reed problem???

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Spree takes off like a bat out of * when cold. I mean, if I'm just starting it up after being in the shed all night, if I open the throttle wide open the front wheel comes off the ground from stopped. But once it gets warmed up, it chugs like it's going uphill on level ground. It is struggling to maintain 27MPH even on a slight downhill, but will hit 35 on a really long downhill. Uphill it stuggles to stay at 24, if I let off it won't go past 18 - 20 until the road levels out. It doesn't seem to sound right at WOT when warm. It acts like it's at 3/4 throttle.

Anybody know what that is? Air filter is good. Exhaust should be good but might actually allow too much flow now (not enough backpressure?). I'm probably going to pluck off the carb again this weekend and clean it real good again to see if that could be the problem.

One more thing -- right after starting cold, there is lots of smoke, especially on take off under load. But when warm, there is little to no smoke. I mean, I start off, tons of smoke, lots of power, 3 minutes later and a WOT mile down the road at the stoplight, no smoke and no power.

Thanks,

-aseigler
Last edited by CharlotteSpreeRider on Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

check your compression.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Mine is doing the same exact thing, my compression is at 65 right now, so i know i need to replace the rings. Replace them now before it really blows and then u may have to get it bored out. If you catch it before you blow it up, then all you will need is a good honing.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

I put in new rings 2 months ago.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Plugchop?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:I put in new rings 2 months ago.
How much you weigh? I am at 285 so rings dont last long with my weight considering max weight limit is 180.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Compression is 115, hot. Plug chop looks a little on the lean side. I weigh about 180lbs.

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

There is your problem , your running it lean and burning it up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

So how to make rich? I'll clean carb this weekend. I would not be surprised if I have a vaccuum leak, resulting in lean condition. How would I chase that down?

Thanks,

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You lower the clip on the needle a notch. To chase a vac leak with the bike idling (adjust it so its nice and smooth or your wasting time) blow an unlit propane torch all over the suspected area, if idle speed changes you have a leak.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Clip is at 4th notch from top (2nd richest). Unlit blow torch sounds promising...
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

I came home early today to work on the Spree. Took carb apart, cleaned the * out of it. It wasn't bad. Put it back together, filled it with SeaFoam and ran it WOT until the smoke went away.

Facts:

- Rings 2 months old, compression over 115 PSI hot
- Motor decarbonized same time as rings
- Spree will not go over about 25 flat
- Exhaust was severely clogged, should be fixed now (used chemical to dissolve)
- Leak is possible.

After I ran it for about 20 minutes, I decided to hold a lighter to the hole on the exhaust. The first time I did it, I'm guessing some unburned gas exploded inside the muffler. I grabbed the camera and did it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=addQI3JWyI8

Didn't explode this time, but you can clearly see the flame being sucked into the muffler. Is that normal? Anyone else dare to try it and see what happens?

-aseigler
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Bumpz.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

So now I think it might be reed related.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Do your reeds have a gap? and they dont really "warm up" as they are constantly spayed by gas and fresh air.