more throttle cable troubles

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sfzoo
BMX
BMX

more throttle cable troubles

Post by sfzoo »

so the problem is that the throttle cable gets stuck and the motor is kept at a high rpm.
the guy at Kragen's auto said that WD40 would work, but it didn't.

when i start the scooter it is at an idle, but when i open the throttle(even just a little) it stays open.

the only thing that closes the throttle is by pulling the cable away from the carb. and it only works when i pull it at the connection(cirlced).

again, i am a super noob so bear with me...i just want to get back on the the bike.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

the cable is binding, just follow it and you will the problem.
sfzoo
BMX
BMX

Post by sfzoo »

thanks,

but just so i'm clear...what exactly is binding?

does that mean that its snagged somewhere under the plastics? or is the problem near the carb?

sorry if this is elementary stuff
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

Just follow the cable down to see if it is bent or twisted..It might have sludge on the inside of the cable causing it to get "stuck" too
sfzoo
BMX
BMX

Post by sfzoo »

ok, thanks.

i'll check it once off work. but if it isn't twisted(binding?) and there is sludge in the cable what are my options for a solution?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

You could try a product called cable lube. Maybe the best would just be to get a new throttle cable.
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

hondaman wrote:You could try a product called cable lube. Maybe the best would just be to get a new throttle cable.
yeah, I agree..if the cable is bent and not straight and such it would be best to just get a new cable. As for sludge I don't see why you couldn't get something to clean it out..I've seen some wicked engine degreesers eat though really thick crap in lawnmowers and rototillers so I don't see why you couldn't get a little sludge out of a throttle cable.

If worst comes to worst just get a new cable..shouldn't cost too much
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

when your following the cable be sure that its not rubbing up against any of the wiring harness, or accidently "clipped" in with any of the wires, there are several metal tabs that bend back and into a loop to hold the wires away from heat sources and such. make sure your throttle cable is not mixed in with one of those clips.

the cable should be free from touching any of that stuff.
sfzoo
BMX
BMX

Post by sfzoo »

so, i checked and the cable is not caught up in any loops or anything like that. to make things easier and get my scooter on the road again i've decided to replace the throttle cable altogether.

is this harder than it sound?? any advice? precautions?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I should take no more than 15 minutes and is very simple. Just route the new cable exactly where the old cable was going.

-aseigler