2-cycle oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mistercl
Noob
Noob

2-cycle oil

Post by mistercl »

just had a quick Q on oil, went to walmart and i bought multi purpose 2 cycle oil. it didnt say anything about 2 strokes or 4. it said it would work for motorcycles snowmobiles outboards and all that jazz..is it ok to use for my elite? thanks
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

what you should use is...
"2 stroke injector oil"

Other 2stroke oils will 'Work' but it isnt good for your bike.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
mistercl
Noob
Noob

Post by mistercl »

thanks!
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

mistercl wrote:thanks!
no problem dude.
The site is here for exactly this. Question and answer help.
Feel free to ask any question you got. We will all try to help you.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
gypsy
Noob
Noob

oil

Post by gypsy »

2 cycle is 2 stroke oil. the type you got is just not the best choice of oils but its easy to get. but the other guy is right if your using your injector you wnat a oil for injectors or i use golden spectro it can be used as a prmix or as a injector without cloging. look at the botles they tell you if they can be used in a injector. golden spec is a patial synthetic so it has the advantages of both synthetic and petrolium i use this on all my quads and other toys with no problems. also its sold at walmart as well so easy to find. i however dont like injectors i like to premix (its all a preferance) i just found your site i was looking to see if any one premixed thier scooters and what ratio they are going with. i may use the injector with like a 100:1 premix to play it safe for injector failure and use the injector.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Re: oil

Post by Dac »

gypsy wrote:2 cycle is 2 stroke oil. the type you got is just not the best choice of oils but its easy to get. but the other guy is right if your using your injector you wnat a oil for injectors or i use golden spectro it can be used as a prmix or as a injector without cloging. look at the botles they tell you if they can be used in a injector. golden spec is a patial synthetic so it has the advantages of both synthetic and petrolium i use this on all my quads and other toys with no problems. also its sold at walmart as well so easy to find. i however dont like injectors i like to premix (its all a preferance) i just found your site i was looking to see if any one premixed thier scooters and what ratio they are going with. i may use the injector with like a 100:1 premix to play it safe for injector failure and use the injector.
if you do you have to disable to pump (get the gears off the pump, so it will not spin. )
cap the oil hole on the carb (or the extra air you will run lean.)
The ratio is like 50:1 for the spree.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

50:1 probably works fine but I would recomend something in the 40s to play it safe.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dale Seleey
Noob
Noob

Post by Dale Seleey »

Dac wrote: if you do you have to disable to pump (get the gears off the pump, so it will not spin. )
cap the oil hole on the carb (or the extra air you will run lean.)
The ratio is like 50:1 for the spree.
resurrecting a dead thread....

Brought home an 88 Elite basket case to resurrect as a pitbike... We always have premixed fuel on hand, that would otherwise be disposed of, so we'd like to run without the injector pump. Does it need to be disabled as described above, or can I just disconnect the oil line and plug it...

Yes, I know the 88 SB50 is the slowest, worstest scooter out there. That's okay, it's really small, which means it fits in the trailer easily, and since it will be regularly stolen by kids, it's imortant that it's not the cool scooter. :lol:

Thanks for your help!
odinxxix
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 2-cycle oil

Post by odinxxix »

it will have to be disabled as described above or removed and a plug put in place.
1986 honda spree(silver fox)
BBK
85 head
SB50 intake
SB50 reeds
taz gears
2.75X10 tires
2000 honda elite S
prodigy vari
2k grabber clutch springs
9:1 gears
jdm tail lite
1982 suzuki FA50
Dale Seleey
Noob
Noob

Re: 2-cycle oil

Post by Dale Seleey »

Thanks, I've got the starter motor out trying to free up the brushes, now is as good a time as any to remove the injector pump. Probably should have done that before the oil feed line popped apart and dumped about 1/2 a quart over the engine and onto the shop floor....
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

gypsy wrote:2 cycle is 2 stroke oil. the type you got is just not the best choice of oils but its easy to get. but the other guy is right if your using your injector you wnat a oil for injectors or i use golden spectro it can be used as a prmix or as a injector without cloging. look at the botles they tell you if they can be used in a injector. golden spec is a patial synthetic so it has the advantages of both synthetic and petrolium i use this on all my quads and other toys with no problems. also its sold at walmart as well so easy to find. i however dont like injectors i like to premix (its all a preferance) i just found your site i was looking to see if any one premixed thier scooters and what ratio they are going with. i may use the injector with like a 100:1 premix to play it safe for injector failure and use the injector.
Not true at all. Outboard oil is rated under the TCW certification program. TCW stands for Two Cycle Water cooled and is built to deal with cooler temps than 2 stroke air cooled. So the oil he has is rated for outboards means you DO NOT want to run it in your air cooled 2 stroke. Have I done it, sure but it still is not made for air cooled engine that run well over 250┬░ where as water cooled engines runabout 150┬░ (they all run a 143┬░ thermostat. Also on the injector thing, any TCW-II oil is injector rated but it still is not suitable for an air cooled engine. The difference between water and air cooled oil are pronounced.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r206 ... il2.gif%26
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree