Strange hose not connected to anything

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Cubey
Spree
Spree

Strange hose not connected to anything

Post by Cubey »

Can anyone tell me what this hose is? It comes down and has no end to it. The frame even has a holder like it's meant to have a hose there. Is it some sort of air inlet/outlet or what? if it is, it's awful small. Could be some chop job someone did on it I suppose but the scooter starts and drives fine.

Image[/img]
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

looks to me its your battery acid over-flow tube. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Yup, that's exactly what it is. 84 - 85 Spree came with a battery that would spew acid out that hose sometimes. 86 - 87 came with sealed battery. If you put a sealed battery in an 84 - 85, that hose just kinda sits there doing nothing.

-aseigler
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Yup, that's exactly what it is. 84 - 85 Spree came with a battery that would spew acid out that hose sometimes. 86 - 87 came with sealed battery. If you put a sealed battery in an 84 - 85, that hose just kinda sits there doing nothing.

-aseigler
Ah, ok good. Was hoping it was something odd like that. It didn't look chopped off. The cut is too clean.

I found a large crack in one of the side panels near the rack but that may have been caused when I had it strapped down a bit hard to my trailer via the rear rack (didn't want it getting away from me!). Found a few screws missing related to the plastics as well but thats easy enough to correct. I haven't gotten a chance to really ride it much yet. I test rode it a few times but I don't have a motorcycle helmet right now plus I want to adjust the carb before I start seriously riding it. Luckily I do have some experience with 2 cycle carb adjusting. Plus the tech doc should say how to adjust out the screw(s) to their default settings and go from there. Although maybe I should just leave it well enough alone if it's riding okay right now. Hmm..
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Those screws (except the bowl drain, of course) only affect idle. Just FYI.

-aseigler
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:Those screws (except the bowl drain, of course) only affect idle. Just FYI.

-aseigler
Ahh. Okay. Must be a bit different from the 2 cycle carb on another scooter I'm used to adjusting. Got to the point I had to adjust the dang thing every time I cranked it up as after I got it working the last time, the next time I started it, it would idle way too fast. So I guess I best leave the carb alone on the Spree since it seems ok for now.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The air screw actualy does affect top end a little bit, its like a pilot jet. Mine will 4 stroke on and off on the stand with the air screw at factory settings, turn it out a quarter and it smooths out (but tuning should be done on the road because the engine will try to run leaner under a load keep the air screw at what the service manual says). To set high speed you have to unscrew the throttle cable and move the clip on the needle, up is leaner, down is richer.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.