No spark - Help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

How long's this thing been out of commission? Bearings dry? You've fixed the obvious issues with the starter (bad brushes/bearings, grounding.)

You can start these by using a air ratchet on the engine crankshaft, pulley side. At least that will get it to turn over enough to start.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

FLIPPIN' SUCCESS - ALMOST - BUT SUCCESS NON THE LESS :lol: :lol: :lol:

It started!! Nearly crapped my pants. :oops:

Going to be typing at a record speed so pardon the loose thoughts. :wink:

- Starter issue was fixed by making sure the leads to the battery were tight. The positive was not resting 100% on the terminal causing the lack of power to the starter...Once connected it started very strong. Like a car would sound. :!:

- Started and ran like it was under water. No throttle response. However leaves started to fly out of the tail pipe....Noise, that may answer your question. So I stuck a long screw driver in as far as it would go and wiggled it around and around...started again and it blew a ton of leaves out of it....or wasp nests who knows....then it raced up like it was at full throttle.... :idea:

- Adjusted the throttle screw to the right setting. Then it throttled up and down like it should.....wonderful...but gas was dripping out of the overflow piping at the rear of the carb, and flooding out the engine. :?

I actually drove it, but after about a half block it would die...on its way to dying it ran strong at first but got worse and worse, with it choking the more throttle I gave it, until I couldn't move the throttle without it dying, and then it just died. :(

If i let it sit it will do the same thing, so I am off to find some posts here on that issue. I rebuilt the carb with all new seals, I think my float is stuck or the float needle is not seating properly. Any quick thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help....this is great and the feeling was awesome...I know I have something that is capable of running, I just need to fine tune it.....

PS: Had it up to 28ish right after starting, before it started to flood out. So I know the jetting, pressure and mixture is good.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Good to hear you have it running. That's perserverance! :D

On the exhaust: You can't reach the parts you need to clean. Throw the thing in a campfire for 5 minutes or so, or take a torch to it and get it good and hot to burn the leaves/crap out. Repaint with stove paint. Probably needs it anyway.

I assume you have a production intake system. Sounds like a plugged idle jet. The scooter runs for 1 minute, which is enough time for the choke circuit to close off.

Now that it's running, make sure the oiler is working b/f you start riding it regularly. Of course, you've already flushed out the old oil and are running injector oil, not premix...

28 MPH is respectable for a Spree.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Thanks Noise for the info, the gas leak happens within 2-5 seconds of the engine starting. Since the scooter is weathered, I think that I need to check the float needle and seat, and make sure the float, floats. It may have cracked and taken on gas, causing it not to seal. I thouhgt it could have been the idle needle as well, but it idles fine, its when you ask for throttle that it begins to bog down with too much gas.
Jeremy Ferch
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'd still doublecheck the idle circuit. Good idea about the float; it's either that or a bad float needle/seat.

You are running an inline fuel filter, right? Gotta believe the tank's rusty.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Yes have a filter on it, the tank surprisingly was not that bad. Just 2 small surface spots about the size of a half dollar, that I was able to scrub away with some steel wool and a screw driver to move it around. I have a 20 gallon parts cleaner that I washed it out with so it was squeeky clean. It was in good shape considering.

I will check the idle circuit, and float and let you know.

I assume to check the oil is to just unplug the line and spark plug, and let the starter turn the crank to make sure oil comes out of the line that feeds the intake. I did prime it per the manual prior to installing.
Jeremy Ferch
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Gas problem solved, dirt on seat of float. Reassembled no more leak.

New problem. Thanks to Noise for pointing it out. I checked the oil pump and no oil coming out. In fact it holds suction up to 25 in/lbs on the out side to intake even when i turn the worm drive. Have a major plug. Any suggestions? Worm gear turns freely and can hear the interference with the tooth gear in the pump so I can feel the resistence of the worm gear turning the pump. Also oil runs freely into pump with worm drive removed. So no plug from pump to tank.

Have it sitting in a parts washer as of 9pm CDT. Any thing else that would free it?

This may be my last issue.... 8O

As always thanks in advance.
Jeremy Ferch
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Clean everything up and reassemble the oil pump, bleed according to manual.

You need to have the engine running to assess the oil pump. Just idling. If you want, throw some 1:32 premix in the fuel tank to do this. If the scooters been running awhile it isn't necessary, there'll be more than enough oil in there.

With the engine idling, you should just barely see the oil dribbling from the out tube. Something like 1 drop every 5-10 seconds. Not shooting out like in the manual.

When you're done, dump the premix before running the scooter with the oiler, or you'll be using way too much oil with it.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Perfect advice Noise, will do that tonight and post. Thanks for the guidance that will be useful, since the manual embellishes the oil coming out for illistration purposes.

I did take the pump out of the washer around midnight, and when vacuum was applied on the outlet, I could hear suction on the inlet. So what ever is blocking it is loosening up. I left it in the washer and I will pull out tonight and reassemble per your post.

Thanks again

UPDATE: PUMP IS PUMPING
Jeremy Ferch