Just brought an 84 Spree Home.....what now?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nelly
BMX
BMX

Just brought an 84 Spree Home.....what now?

Post by nelly »

Hi all,
My wife's client gave us an 84 Honda Spree with 3000kms :D . I've siphoned the fuel out, removed the old dirty spark plug, and need to go and get a new battery.

What type or 'code' of spark plug do I need to look for when I go to buy one tomorrow.
Same question for the battery - what do I need to get?

Mechanically everything seems to work on the bike except for the rear break line. It seems like the cable has seized inside (front operates fine). Is there anything I can do to get the rear brake cabel 'unstuck'???? I've unhooked the cable from the rear and tired just gently bending it a bit to see if it would unstick but no luck. Should I try a squirt of WD-40 or something?

Thanks so much for any help information......
This is going to be a fun project for the summer I think!
Steve
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

not sure on the codes. thereare different ones. just give them the model and they can look it up. as for the brake cable u can try wd40 but that sometimes wont work.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

if you go to a honda dealer, just ask them for a sparkplug(s) for an '84 honda spree and they'll hook u up.

but if u still want to know, its: NGK BPR6HS
part #: 98076-56717

btw for the year i rode my spree my back brake had gone out, it wasnt the cable but the actual brake would just get stuck. hopefully thats not the same in ur case, but if it is consider replacing the rear pads. i just used my front and my shoes. :wink:
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

For the rear cable: They make a special tool that goes on the end of the cable, and allows you to squirt cable fluid directly down the cable housing in a pressurized fashion. Tools/spray will be about $15 at a cycle shop.

Or, you can wire/zip tie a baggy to one end of the cable, fill it with motor oil and suspend it off your ceiling by the baggy and wait a couple of days. Put paper underneath it; the oil will eventually drip out the other end.

Both work; the spray is faster.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Just bought a rear brake cable new from a Honda dealer for like $10. Mine was frozen, as was my speedo and throttle cables. I bought the tool, and it worked on the front brake cable, but the others not to well. If you only have one that is broken, then go the easy route and just buy new. My dealer gave me the wholesale price, so retail it may be like $12.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
Magnus213
Noob
Noob

Post by Magnus213 »

burnt_toast wrote:if you go to a honda dealer, just ask them for a sparkplug(s) for an '84 honda spree and they'll hook u up.

but if u still want to know, its: NGK BPR6HS
part #: 98076-56717

btw for the year i rode my spree my back brake had gone out, it wasnt the cable but the actual brake would just get stuck. hopefully thats not the same in ur case, but if it is consider replacing the rear pads. i just used my front and my shoes. :wink:
How much does the dealer charge you for that plug? I went looking for one at Pep Boys yesterday and wound up empty-handed.
1987 Spree, 2006 Scion tC
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Honda dealer was $2.20
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

How much does the dealer charge you for that plug? I went looking for one at Pep Boys yesterday and wound up empty-handed.
pepboys wont have it. you'd have to check w/ either a honda motorcycle dealer or a motorcycle shop.
projects galore :nerd: