Do I need to remove the kick start...?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Do I need to remove the kick start...?

Post by Scooterspal »

I need to clean and lubricate the starter pinion on my '85 Spree as it does not always engage the first few tries. Read on this site where this is recommended to solve this issue.

My question concerns the kick starter. Mine has had this added but I'm confused as to whether it comes off WITH the cover or is it attached to
a shaft inside the casing? The PDF manual pics are not clear on this.

Do I remove the foot lever AND the C ring? Will the starter shaft and gear then remain inplace or is it likely it will pop off when the cover is removed?

Lastly, I do not have a new gasket. How necessary is one if there is no oil
inside this casing to leak out after I put it back together.

Thanks for the help before I do this this weekend.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You dont need to disassemble the kicker, the e start is completely separate.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
dr.ona
Spree
Spree

Post by dr.ona »

You don't need a gasket. You'll probably want to clean out the area while your in there. I've used brake cleaner and carefully not spray on the cluth area or belt....speaking of which, you may as well check the belt for cracks and unusual wear.

Robert
"I can't drive......35!"
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Dont you just remove the 10mm bolt that goes through kickstart lever and then slide lever off shaft? The rest of the kickstart assembly stays in the case. You may have to remove front pulley to get starter pinion gear out, it just sits in place (pulls out)