OH crap (elite trouble)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

aerox
Noob
Noob

OH crap (elite trouble)

Post by aerox »

So I got my 00' sa50p elite last Thursday, and like an idiot quickly de-restricted it (exhaust port/new variator with weights), without further research. so i rode it around a bit, not to much. Then yesterday took a nice long scoot, and rode it real hard. Then down a hill it all of sudden made some weird noise and died, like I would imagine an seize would sound like. started right back up. When any stress applied to it, even a moderate slope it would die again. so I pushed it back to my house and tinkered around with it. drive train was fine, but during idle it would make a weird knocking noise from the intake. so I left it. Then after work today i started it right back up with no problems, even drove for 5 mins and still pulls hard. Then i noticed that the oil outlet line coming from the pump to the carb had broken off the nipple on the pump side, drizzling oil everywhere. Then while researching that I found out that when modding an SA50p you need to zip tie the oil switch open because it wont get enough oil. So my question is has anyone done this before? And how screwed do you think i am?
1985 Aero 50
2000 Elite s
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Everybody zip ties the oiler open for more oil because an upgraded engine needs more. Your not that screwed if its still running alright.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

I've seen things happen like this a ton of times and usually the moped doesn't suffer to much so you should be fine. A good idea when removing the restrictions is to put a larger jet inside the carb as well as tie open the oil injector especially if you modded the air box cover to allow more air (I suggest do this for more power). So now you know and knowing is half the battle! (I loved G.I. Joe as a kid)
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

alos adding a few cap full of oil into the gas tank helps . better to foul a plug than kill a bore!
aloha
D
Elite1998
Spree
Spree

Post by Elite1998 »

Although, too much oil can allow less gas to the motor and make it run lean.

On the plus side I've heard of people who have zip tied the oiler open, had their engine "seize" but didn't have any damage because of the extra oil saved the piston and cylinder.
Honda Elite SA50-S

Stock motor, 9:1 gears, Kelli High speed pulley=a top speed of ?? Maxed the speedo out if that counts..average 45 mph
average 85 mpg