is the battery totaly necessary?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

geosapien
Noob
Noob

is the battery totaly necessary?

Post by geosapien »

I have an 85 spree that no longer has a battery in it...let alone the wires. I traced the wire harness, and stubbed in both terminals for when i figure out what battery to buy, but in the mean time, when my kid rides it, it is fine. No hesitation, and tops at about 34 mph. BUT, when I get on it, it runs for about 1 minute, then boggs realy REALY bad. I have cleaned the carb, and have 2 spares i sent in to get cleaned, new plugs, tore completely down and removed rust/carbon...basicly a 3 month rebuild with nothing un touched.
Just as a test, i borrowed a buddies moped, and disconnected the battery, and it carries me around just fine. It was a 50cc as well.
And how do you know if your muffler is clogged? Mine is 20 years old, but is not very loud. Could the muffler be what is causing the bog? I work at a flow meter calibration company, and set it on the stand...was not very resctricting.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

batt wouldnt cause this. if there is no batt how are u starting it? dont use a jumper with no batt in it or u will fry the starter. been there. as for the bogging it could be the exhaust, but the carb is the most likely cause of this.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

... So it runs fine for your kid, but when you get on it it has problems? And I assume it has a kick-start. If the increased weight is causing this, it probably traces back to the clutch. It may be worn, and the extra weight is overheating it. You can inspect this if you pull the sidecover after you ride it. It'll be smoking hot.

No real need for a battery, unless your kickstart croaks.

You can see the carbon buildup; you don't need a flowmeter to check this. Look inside the exhaust port and check for carbon there. Same with the head. All this is in the service manual, posted here.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
geosapien
Noob
Noob

Post by geosapien »

I figured maybe clutch too....so iwent on ebay and got one cheap. I can't tell if mine is worn too much, nothing to compare to, and i have cleaned the crap out of this thing, so there are almost no traces of carbon anywhere. I have kick starting it.
I have the idle nice and low, so the tire doesn't move unless i push it a little, then it rolls to a stop, but not an abrupt one.
I tried a new plug over the weekend, and now the moped makes more of a pop noise than before. I put a new head gasket thinking there might be a leak, and now it only pops at idle.

I think i am gonna get that 70cc kit for this moped. I have a restictor in case my kid wants to take it faster than legal. I can pop it on and off so i can play on it too.
Are there magnetos on these?
generalsecord
BMX
BMX

1985 HONDA SPREE

Post by generalsecord »

DO YOU KNOW WERE I CAN GET A REPAIR MANUAL FOR THIS SPREE.THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS AFTER IT STARTS ,IT RUNS VERY FAST.CANT GET THE IDLE TO JUST IDLE IT JUST ROARS.NO MATTER WHAT I DO IT WONT IDLE IT JUST ROARS NEED HELP.
Streetglow
Goped
Goped

Post by Streetglow »

look in the technical docs section. and please, don't use all caps.

edit: btw, my battery has been dead for a year, the turn signals don't work well cause the alternator doesn't make enough juice, but other than that.. runs just fine.