1994 Honda Elite SA50 Carb question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hornet
BMX
BMX

1994 Honda Elite SA50 Carb question

Post by hornet »

Ok folks, I am brand new here and have tried to find this topic for the Elite I have, but have only found a similar topic for a Spree, so here goes.

The '94 SA50 Elite I have, has a good working petcock and vacuum line to the carb, but does not run without taking off the air filter and spraying starter fluid inside the area where that has come off ( the back-end of the carb). The fuel definetely is getting into the fuel bowl because when we open up the bottom drain screw on the fuel bowl we can definetely see the fuel coming out. However when looking in from the back end of the carb (where the air filter fits on) we don't see any fuel going into the area (whatever it is called..the float?) that we are spraying the starter fluid into.

My question is: Is this a simple matter of a dirty carb? The bike has been sitting for about a year without being started up. We know we (My nephew and I) have good spark and fuel going into the bottom fuel bowl of the carb and the carb connect line itself, but do you all think this is just a dirty jet preventing the fuel from getting to the float? without the help of starter fluid being sprayed in from the backside of the carb (connecting air cleaner area)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Or you can email me privately at: dlvh007@yahoo.com

Thanks for listening! and here is a good look at somewhat my picture looks like...although this page mainly refers to a 1990 model year:

http://www3.telus.net/dougsimpson/Elite_1.html

The Hornet
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

yes, your best bet is to clean the carb. dont worry it isnt hard, and u will not need a rebuild kit. just some carb cleaner. and if u have one an air compressor is really useful for cleaning out all the little passages+ jets.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

yeh cleaning a carb goes a long way. also if i am correct you are talking about spraying starter fluid right into the opening of the carb. if thats the case you wont see any fuel from that view.
projects galore :nerd:
hornet
BMX
BMX

Post by hornet »

burnt_toast wrote:yeh cleaning a carb goes a long way. also if i am correct you are talking about spraying starter fluid right into the opening of the carb. if thats the case you wont see any fuel from that view.
Ok, cleaning the carb it is! and yes I was spraying starter fluid in the rear opening of the carb, but before we did that we tried to see first if there was any fuel at all form the fuel tank getting into the "float?" area, but saw none. But as I mentioned it was filling up the bottom bowl, but cleaning the carb is the next logical step.

Thanks

The Hornet
hornet
BMX
BMX

Post by hornet »

Ok...cleaned the carb and she ran!!! Yeehaa!!! :D Now I just need a new tire tube and battery, some missing screws, nuts and bolts, a few other misc. parts and she can cruise the road.

Thanks for all your help folks!

The Hornet