Faulty Fuel Gage?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Faulty Fuel Gage?

Post by Ziraya »

I've noticed that when I fill up the tank then ride around the meter tends to go from full to about 90% at a reasonable rate, then I'll take a short ride, like just up to the party store and back, which can't be more than two miles total, and when I get back it's down to just over half full, like maybe some screw is lose or something. I'm not sure if I can trust it. Is there any way to check that the gauge is functioning properly?

My first thought is to drain the gas somewhere, then plug the tank and fill it with water, let the water out and watch the gauge to see if it jumps
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

Drain the tank then add gas a cup at a time. See what the gauge does. These aren't terrably accurate but once you figure it out it should be consistant from tank to tank.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Remove the sender from the tank and move it up and down.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

Ok, I bothered to pay attention while refueling just now
I don't know how much gas was in the tank but I put over a gallon in, and it was only a gallon tank.
At about half a gallon the meter registered more than no gas
At about 90% of a gallon it registered totally full

So how do I reset the meter to read properly?

Other than where the display is does the meter on an SB vary much from other models?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Ignore the gauge and keep track of what the mileage was when you filled up. Then if you get 100 miles per tank, just fill up 10 or 20 before then. Oh, water in a fuel tank at anytime is a very bad idea.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It is a stepper sender, not linear or anything. Ru it empty and see what it reads.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:It is a stepper sender, not linear or anything. Ru it empty and see what it reads.
If the bike is an SB50 its not electrical at all. Its just a mechanical gauge with a solid foam float at the end of a plastic rod. You won't be able to change the range it covers, but could adjust where it zeros by heating and gently bending the rod. Personally, I don't think its worth it - its not very accurate anyway and you will probably not get a good seal again when you re-attach the gauge window (its below the fuel level at full).

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc