Broke my piston ring...and Wiring Help (PICS)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

junkyspree
BMX
BMX

Broke my piston ring...and Wiring Help (PICS)

Post by junkyspree »

Well I was working on my spree bright and early this morning ready for a days ride. I had all my topend parts to replace. Piston went in fine with connecting rod bearing and pin w/ c-clips. Everything was oiled well. I had my rings in right, I believe (silver on top and black on bottom-on top of extender) oiled them well too. Well I was sliding down my nicely oiled new jug and compressing the rings. Don't know what happened, but the bottom ring broke off. Jeez, here I go ordering another ring set and waiting 2 weeks...this scooter is cursed! Is there any special precautions to putting on the jug and compressing that bottom ring that sticks out quite a bit b/c of the extension ring? I mean thing isn't my first topend job.

I found some wires unhooked under my bars. Two sets of green and black from each end of bars and an orange and a blue female from harness. Where could these go?

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I think those are your front turn signal lines. Compress the rings with your fingers and be careful and DONT FORCE ANYTHING AT ALL!
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Ring - did the lower ring or spring got rotated out of alignment with the locating pin?

Electrical - If I'm reading the Spree wiring diagram correctly -
Green/Yellow stripe and Black wires lart the left and right brake (stop switches) Green/Yellow should plug into an end that supports double bullet connections. Looks like that's the center wire in your photo.

Orange is for the Left front turn signal.
White is headlight low beam power.
Spree'mo
Noob
Noob

Post by Spree'mo »

Same thing just happen to me on the rings they must have rotated out of the slots, next time I'm going to try using a hose clamp just to help hold them in one place as well as compressing them. Would this be a bad Idea?
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Spree'mo wrote:Same thing just happen to me on the rings they must have rotated out of the slots, next time I'm going to try using a hose clamp just to help hold them in one place as well as compressing them. Would this be a bad Idea?
That's basically what a piston ring compression tool does. Just make sure there's no chance the steel scratches the piston when its pushed in.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
edwardzx7
Spree
Spree

Post by edwardzx7 »

wassup man,when your putting the rings in you have to play with to get it in correct.but you have to line up the rings with the little pin in the piston ring tracks,dont try to force it in there,if it doesn go slide it back down and try again.pretty sure everyone has broken rings putting them on ,but also everyone has different secrects to putting them on also.take your time,you'll always have time to ride.
Image-$show your right$
Spree'mo
Noob
Noob

Post by Spree'mo »

Guys I appreciate all the help, definitly worked, engine runs like new. However did run into another hopefully small problem. Everytime I try to see how fast it will go, when I get to the end of the street to turn around it just quits and it won't crank right away, after about a minute it will crank right up good. Any clues, BTW no mods but exhaust is still cut up.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Do a plug chop, COULD BE VERY BAD if not taken care of.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.