High idle after rebuild

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

starsnbars
Goped
Goped

High idle after rebuild

Post by starsnbars »

Finally got my 86 spree running after a rebuild and when I start it up the idle is really really high and the back tire is turning really fast. Adjusting the idle screws seem to do nothing. Even when they are completely in, it still screams. Any ideas?
losthope
Elite
Elite

Post by losthope »

you must have an air leak somewhere.
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

forgot to mention everything on the intake is bolted together tightly and with fresh gaskets.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You put the throttle slide in wrong. there is a slot in it and a nub in the carb, they must be aligned or the slide wont drop in all the way.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

no i definitely let it glide in through the slot. I'm going to change out to my other carb and see if that helps
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

OK so I completely took the intake off and made sure the intake and carb connection was as tight as can be. The intake and reed connection is bolted on very tightly with new gaskets on both sides of the reeds. I have a new air filter that is well oiled and sealed good. I have read about people checking for air leaks with a torch, how is that done, and are they talking about a propane torch or like a small grill lighter kind of thing? Are there any other places I should check because right now my spree starts great but man I can't seem to get the idle any lower. If the back wheel touches the pavement this thing is gonna take off!
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

starsnbars wrote:OK so I completely took the intake off and made sure the intake and carb connection was as tight as can be. The intake and reed connection is bolted on very tightly with new gaskets on both sides of the reeds. I have a new air filter that is well oiled and sealed good. I have read about people checking for air leaks with a torch, how is that done, and are they talking about a propane torch or like a small grill lighter kind of thing? Are there any other places I should check because right now my spree starts great but man I can't seem to get the idle any lower. If the back wheel touches the pavement this thing is gonna take off!
WD-40 works better and won't catch your scoot on fire.
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

so what do you just soak the cracks and see if it gets sucked through?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

How high is it idling? I want a video.

Im 99% sure you dont have the throttle slide in correctly it should die if you pull the ilde stop screw out. The slide should drop in there a good inch. Maybe the cable is binding or something play with the throttle to check.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

I'll check it out and hopefully get a video posted
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

starsnbars wrote:so what do you just soak the cracks and see if it gets sucked through?
With the engine running just spary along the lunction areas and when you hit the leak, RPM will change. However I agree with Kenny.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

WD40 is rather flammable no to mention the propane propellant. If your outside with a slight breeze there is no way there will be a fire waving an unlit torch at your intake system.
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

well I took my throttle valve apart and compared it to my spare one. I have two carbs one from an 85 spree and one from an 86 or 87 I think. and I noticed that my jet needle to the 85 with 5 pin positions is fatter than my spare needle with only 3 positions. I have switched carbs so many times I can't remember which year is on the bike. so I thought maybe I was using the wrong throttle needle, I replaced the 5 clip one with the skinnier 3 clip one, and still same high idle problem. video is being uploaded to youtube I'll post the link when it's finished
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Take your air filter off and send us a picture pointing into the carb so we can see where your carb slide is.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc