need help with fuel valve..maybe

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

puttinginwork
Noob
Noob

need help with fuel valve..maybe

Post by puttinginwork »

Hi there, just to let you guys know your site is very informative. Bought a 86 Spree about a month ago, ran perfect. A friend and I took it apart to check it out. BAD IDEA. Originally the vaccum line was sealed off, still ran. In trying to assemble correctly noticed fuel going through the vaccum line into intake flooding the engine(?) and seizing the kickstart. Carb is fine. Fuel valve is currently soaking in gas. Where should I start? Tried to set it up the way I first got it and does not start either. Just bad valve? Please help! Thanks.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

try reversing hoses. very bottom of valve hose is for vac. top hose is fuel.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
puttinginwork
Noob
Noob

Post by puttinginwork »

Thanks for responding so quickly. The hoses are hooked up correctly, I've been through the service manual etc. a million times. The fuel comes out of both hoses when unattached.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

i dont think cleaning the valve would help, if thats whats happening. its something more then being dirty. your best bet would be to get a nice used one off ebay.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
puttinginwork
Noob
Noob

Post by puttinginwork »

I would like to use that option as last resort, it is possible for it to run without the vaccum line hooked up. I' ll give ebay a shot. Thanks.
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

Yes, but you need to install a manual inline fuel valve between the valve and the carb. It would allow you to stop fuel when it is off. You could leave the fuel on all the time, but the danger is that you will empty the gas into the carb, the float will allow gas out and the overflow will spill the gas onto the ground causing a hazardous situation on a wayword spark. Or it would leak up into the carb through the fuel needle, then into the cylinder creating a bomb.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
puttinginwork
Noob
Noob

Post by puttinginwork »

It just seems strange because upon first purchasing it, it was running amazing with no leaks what so ever. It might not be a stock petcock. One more problem, because of all the current fuel spillage I cant remember how the hoses were hooked up on the back of the carb. Three connections, one small clear hose. Cant seem to find diagrams anywhere!
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Buy a new petcock! That will solve you fuel flow problem. If you messed with that while trying to clean it, you couldve broken it. And if you have fuel flowing through both lines, it sounds like it. A manual fuel valve is dangerous as stated earlier.
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Sounds like you took it apart and put it together wrong. You will now need to download the factory service manual (in tech docs) and put it together right, using that as a reference.

Otherwise sounds like you might have a bad/sticking fuel petcock. You'll need to check it's operation out too. Procedure in the manual.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products