Backpressure

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

gobucks
Spree
Spree

Backpressure

Post by gobucks »

Hi, just wondering how back pressure affects running, is it only necessary for two stroke engines or for four stroke engines too, what does back pressure do to the engine?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

this shows more the basics of a expansion chamber exhaust, but the same concept works.

its needed so when the exhaust gases leave the cylinder, the gas needed for the next blast dont go with it.

its needed more for 2 strokes, but 4 strokes kinda need it too.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I have seen 2 strokes run for years with exhaust just pouring out the port and I have heard pistons shattering in under a minute. I have heard from a very reputable source that no harm will be done to a 4 stoke running without an exhaust, another source, tells me the exhaust valve will melt(strangely enough this person is also the owner of the chainsaw that runs with no exhaust system the muffler bolt threads are stripped).

In any event its very cool to look into the exhaust port of a running 2 stroke and see the fire inside change colors under different loads.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
gobucks
Spree
Spree

Post by gobucks »

so it just keeps the new fuel/air mixture from rushing out or being pushed out of the cylinder by the piston through the exhaust port since the exhaust port is higher than the intake?

So then with a four stroke since the exhaust valve is closed when the mixture is being compressed it should be ok to have an open exhaust?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Open like a straight pipe yea, but not without anything.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

2 stroke needs back pressure. a four stroke has valves
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

justinnielsen01 wrote:2 stroke needs back pressure. a four stroke has valves
Have you tried running a 2 stroke without a pipe?
gobucks
Spree
Spree

Post by gobucks »

no, i haven't, so if you do run a two stroke without a pipe part of the mixture runs out in the exhaust making the mixture that is ignited lean?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You would want to adjust the carb.
gobucks
Spree
Spree

Post by gobucks »

wouldn't that be giving you worse gas mileage though since some of your mixture is going out in the exhaust, which would require more gas to be taken into the intake to get enough mixture to cause enough
compression, but a small portion of it not burned?
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

yes, plus you run the risk of the escaped gases igniting inside your body panels, melting s***, maybe even blowing them off while you're at speed in traffic
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

gobucks wrote:wouldn't that be giving you worse gas mileage though since some of your mixture is going out in the exhaust, which would require more gas to be taken into the intake to get enough mixture to cause enough
compression, but a small portion of it not burned?
Exactly, The unburned mixture caused real high NOX numbers and that is why there are no 2 strokes available anymore (thanks EPA) in lawn mowers, motorcycles, ATVs and outboards, except for the 2 stroke direct injection into the cylinder after the exhaust port is closed type in the big outboard engines.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree