Battery?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Battery?

Post by Bear45-70 »

New here, but not new to the Spree. Had one (and I mean 1) since the late '80s. My only real problem is that the battery dies if the thing sits for any length of time (like a month or over the winter) is there any secret to not having to buy a new battery every spring (I have the no kick start model). My quads don't do this. Oh yeah, the the charging system checks good per the manual and I do know what I am doing. Was a professional airplane and marine mechanic and an electronics tech too at one time or another. Thanks for any ideas.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

I use a Deltran Battery Tender. It works! Just keep an eye on the acid level over winter and add a little distilled water if necessary. This charger costs about the equivalent of what I paid for 2 Spree batteries.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I tried the battery tender and like you say, it take alot of screwing around because most commercially built tenders have too high of an output current for small batteries. I built one with a max out of 250 mils and a low of 100 mils. Still by spring the battery was screwed. The thing is my quads have motorcycle style and size batteries and neither of those has a problem with setting for months even. Is the something to do with the battery design that makes the spree batteries a weak sister?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Have you tried just disconnecting the battery and taking it in for the winter?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Ok, that should work. But why should I have to unless there is a current draw someplace. Is this normal? It sure isn't in most applications, however I do know that GM has several regulator system that pull as much a 10 mils at rest, but their systems are a bunch more complex than the Spree, you know EFI power requirements and such.
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

From my experience, batteries last longer when they are exercised, and kept near room temperature.

My recommendation for storage which has been gathered and confirmed by many car, boat and small engine write ups.

For winter I would bring it into your house, basement, in a corner where if it blew acid it would not harm a furnace, water heater, etc. A locking metal cabinet that is vented is ideal. Make sure the battery is not grounded put it on the shelf on a piece of wood. Then trickle charge it over night once a month, whether it needs it or not. When the battery charger says it is done the following morning unhook the battery and come back in 30 days.

As always make sure your acid levels are good and that you have the battery vented and/or in a ventilated area. I realize that the house is not ideal but given that most people here do not have a heated garage or out building it is the next best thing. You could just bay the $26 every March to get a new one, its your choice.

Good luck!
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

The Spree's home is in the unfinished basement and besides I live in the Pacific Northwest on Puget Sound and it just doesn't get that cold. I can't ride it in the winter because my major league abused body won't tolerate it anymore.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

It is normal procedure on bikes/scooters stored in the winter to disconnect the battery. I do this on my scoot and bike, as well as an older truck I have that doesn't get driven in the winter. If it's in a heated garage/basement, you can leave it installed.

You should also be putting Stabil in the tank and draining the carb.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

noiseguy wrote:It is normal procedure on bikes/scooters stored in the winter to disconnect the battery. I do this on my scoot and bike, as well as an older truck I have that doesn't get driven in the winter. If it's in a heated garage/basement, you can leave it installed.

You should also be putting Stabil in the tank and draining the carb.
I was a marine mechanic for a bunch of years. I know all the tricks for storage, but the rest of my motorcycles and quads haven't required this kind of battery care during storage. The quads live in the unheated shed and have never had a battery problem, both have Suzuki engines. The charging system on the Spree is the simplest with no regulator so no current draw at rest. So why the problems with the battery? It just seems strange. I will try the disconnect this fall. Thanks.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Spree have notoriously poor wiring; I'm guessing that's the culprit.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

noiseguy wrote:Spree have notoriously poor wiring; I'm guessing that's the culprit.
That could well be the reason. Thanks.