1987 Elite SE50P

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kurteye
Noob
Noob

1987 Elite SE50P

Post by kurteye »

I recently resurected a 1987 Elite SE50P that has been in my family since it was new. It has been sitting idle for about 13 years. I have searched all through the forum to find ways to get it a little faster. I know from age and whatnot that it will obviously be a little slower than it was brand new. But when it was new- the scoot would do 35 MPH without a problem on the flat. However- in just about all posts I have read- the SE50P is to top out at approx. 30 MPH. Right now I currently am running an average of about 27 MPH. I've been through the engine and everything looks great. It has about 3700 miles on it. I tried cleaning out the exhaust and I even tried to remove the plate behind the front clutch without any improvements. I am however missing the air cleaner cover. Could this be my problem? I've searched all over to find one but so far I come up empty handed. There is one on ebay for an '89 but I'm leary if they will match up. Any thoughts on where I can find one and what other things I could try to get this thing a bit faster before spending a bunch of money on it?
Thanks!