Restoring a 1988 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Storm
Goped
Goped

Re: Restoring a 1988 Spree

Post by Storm »

Hello again folks, its been a while. :hi:
I had a wonderful , stroke of luck, phonecall from a friend a couple months back telling me someone was giving away an old bike that he reckoned looked a bit like mine and did I want him to get it. Quick as a flash I was in like Flynn and that evening I had a parts bike. My friend, who happens to br pretty sorted with the tools had already had a play and turned it from a non runner into a rough smoky runner.
2 dozen beer to him (he didnt even want anything, but I like to pay the karmic bills smartly-he even bought it round to my house!) and I was back in my shed with the parts for a heart transplant. :geekdance:
4 bolts later and a few quick snap connections( at this point I started to think Mr Honda may have forseen engine removals/swaps and kindly eased the way for plebs like me :naughty: )
I had the new engine in. A quick moment for prayer and thanks, and IT LIVES ONCE MORE!
(as you may have guessed, morale was high at this point :smile: )
But wait theres more. The new bike only had 531km on it as some young lass had bought it to ride on, had a nasty moment and lent it against the side of the shed for years before it surfaced again. My original bike had ~9780km on it, :woot:
So off I went the next day for a shakedown ride, after testing every bolt and connection twice. The only drwaback is that I spent days cleaning and oiling everything that needed it on the old engine and now I couldnt be bothered doing it all over again instead of going riding.
I am surprised I didnt get the fire brigade called as I was spreading a smokescreen 6 foot wide down the street after me :lol: for the first 10 mins, after which the fog cleared and I was away laughing.
Since then a couple of issues have reared thier ugly heads:
a) the plastic bodywork is pretty ancient and has protested the multiple removals by cracking and breaking in several places, so it'll have to out with the superglue on that

b) the sparkplug holder kept popping off. I put up with it for a while, then yesterday I swapped over the coil and holder from the parts bike and now it grips like a monkey in a tree

c) the engine needs cleaning-sigh! Will have to give it some elbow grease loving

d) theres an annoying flat spot between the bottom and second third of the rev range. So, heakening to the first rule of Spree (Clean the carb. Clean it again. Then clean it once more for good measure) I should hopefully get that sorted.

I also whipped the head off to give it a wirebrushing to remove some of the sediment and built up gunge with a wire brush wheel and gave the piston a quick scrub whilst I was there. Is now running well with minimal smoking on startup.

So all in all, I will end with a quote from the movie Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels"

"Its been emotional"
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

198? Honda Spree NQ50M (got parts of two different bike mixed up in there!)
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Greetings again folks

Been a while since I posted. I hear morale is up over your way after a certain Turban wearing individual is no longer stealing oxygen :D

All has been well in my spree world, and I've started riding it to and from work (approx 15 miles either way). I have put in the BP8HSA plug as per the manual for "extended high speed riding" and want to know if theres anything else I should do in order to make it run that little bit faster. It holds 31mph on the flat and 24mph on hills, but I have noticed a dropoff in top speed since I've been riding it regulalrly(when I first got the new donor engine in, it was doing 34mph on the flat)

Is this a jetting issues?

Do I need new rings or the like?

Do I need to play with the carb in some way?

Also, I have been thinking about putting a pod filter on- how involved does the rejetting get? i.e will I just be able to go up 2 sizes on the jet, start it up and ride away?

Answers to these and any other performance hints gratefully appreciated.

PS Apologies for the rambling nature of above post, its 11:13pm here :)
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

spree-rider
Elite
Elite

Post by spree-rider »

could easily bee belt wear/clutch wear. try replacing the belt with a gates 7240 belt from your local parts store. there about $9. As for the Pod filter, dont even try, i did try and the jetting is just a mess. very hard to get right. i put a 78 jet in on my stock spree with pod filter and it was way to lean. anything over half throttle there was nothing.
86 spree
sb 50 intake and reeds
3.00x10 rear tire
waxed

99Polaris indy 700
harliquim paint
2" bar riser
lefty throttle
ice scratchers
SLP tri keel skis
ported
high compression head
chrome low windshield
mountain bar
Xtra-10
I ALWAYS KEEP ONE ROLLED
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

spree-rider wrote:could easily bee belt wear/clutch wear. try replacing the belt with a gates 7240 belt from your local parts store. there about $9. As for the Pod filter, dont even try, i did try and the jetting is just a mess. very hard to get right. i put a 78 jet in on my stock spree with pod filter and it was way to lean. anything over half throttle there was nothing.
At 513km, I doubt very much there is a belt or any drive train issue.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Thanks for the advice gents. Glad to know the pod filter is going to be an issue best avoided.
I remember someone in another thread mentioning reeds need checking. How often do I need to have a gander at them and what am I looking for ?(apart from the obvious of no missing/broken off bits)

Just out of interest, what does replacing the belt change(in terms of seat of the pants feel) ?

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Just as a random point I noticed last night, you guys all mention vacuum hoses and so forth on your carbs, but the two bikes I have here are both straight gravity feed jobs.
Any one have any idea why this is so? (I'm looking at you Bear :hi: )

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Storm wrote:Just as a random point I noticed last night, you guys all mention vacuum hoses and so forth on your carbs, but the two bikes I have here are both straight gravity feed jobs.
Any one have any idea why this is so? (I'm looking at you Bear :hi: )
In the US the Spree has two hose off the bottom of the tank at the petcock. The upper hose is the fuel to the carb. The lower hose goes to the intake manifold for vacuum to operate the automatic petcock so that when the motor is NOT turning over there is no fuel flow.

However from looking at your pictures you appear to have a manual petcock (valve) on your Nifty 50 sticking out in front of and just below your seat. If this is a manual valve, that explains why no vacuum hose to an automatic petcock. You don't have one.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Sorry I wasnt clearer earlier- I know why it doesnt have the hose, just wondered why its is different between countries (assuming the same carb is used on both US and NZ models)

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I've wondered the same thing. Sometimes it's a Regulatory thing in the country of sale. U.S. vehicle standards may require some sort of "Automatic" mechanism to ensure the fuel supply is shut down when the engine is stopped. Maybe they know how forgetful we are...

Whereas Un-American countries allow the User to decide?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Wouldnt be surprised, seeing as how I have the same #68 main jet as you guys (apart from some poor restricted folks in Iowa it looks like)

Having a better run now I've richened up the mixture screw to 1 1/2 turns out. Gained 2 mph with 1/8th of a turn! Makes me want to try another 1/8th :D :coolcruise:

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Storm wrote:Wouldnt be surprised, seeing as how I have the same #68 main jet as you guys (apart from some poor restricted folks in Iowa it looks like)

[Having a better run now I've richened up the mixture screw to 1 1/2 turns out. Gained 2 mph with 1/8th of a turn! Makes me want to try another 1/8th[color] :D :coolcruise:

This is pure :bs: as there is no way a 1/4 turn on the idle mixture screw (or even a full turn) would effect the top end in this way. Mainly because above 1/4 throttle the idle mixture is supplying less than 1% of the fuel to the engine.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Bear-I'm fully aware it will have been the way I held my toungue/the wind/the spree felt like going faster/insert other random variable here would have been the reason for any speed change.
I did notice after a clean of the carb it did move from a crusising speed of approx 45kph to 50kph, no idea why-any light to shed oh knowledgable furred one?
Also contining the saga of setup woes, after it running real well, on my way home, approx 10 miles into it, it suddenly developed a nasty splutter and wouldnt rev cleanly over approx 40kph. Got home, cleaned carb, saw that one of the carb bolts had threaded and figured that was a likely culprit. Reassembled, but still same issue.
What does everyone reckon this is likely to be?

Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Pull the spark plug, check compression, and install a new plug if pressure is OK.
I'm not sure what you mean by "one of the carb bolts had 'threaded'..." But this is a critical connection.
If the carb/insulator isn't tight, fix the problem, by tapping new or oversize (1/4" x 20) threads into your carb flange if necessary
The scooter can sit and idle just fine and still develop vac leak issues as the carb bounces around speeding over rough roads.
Because the issue is a vac leak, lean-running -> overheat -> engine damage is one possible consequence. Hope not...

Carb mount bolts never just "come loose" unless the Al-You-Minnie-Yum carb flange threads were buggered by overtight assembly.
Steel bolt, short segment, al threads = Real easy to do. 5-6 ft.lbs. On the wrench max, methinks.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Wheelman- might well have been the thread. When I was a sparky I had a bad habit of monkey fisting bolts (overtightening) for fear of them vibrating loose. Thanks for the tips. Yet another reason steel will never go out of fashion for all-u-minimum-strength metals