Restoring a 1988 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Storm
Goped
Goped

Restoring a 1988 Spree

Post by Storm »

Greetings all

I have just acquired for the princely sum of $75 NZD a non running 1988 Honda Spree(referred to here in New Zealand as a "Nifty 50")
My cunning plan is to pull all the bits off, and clean and polish as required. I'll be using a wire brush to rip some of the worst parts of rust off as this particular specimen hasn't been shown the greatest of love.
I will also be stripping, cleaning and re assembling the carb.
I will browse the relevant threads/topics on this forum, but what I am looking for is the handy hints and the stuff you only find out just after you REALLY need to know them- ie pitfalls and stories from others that you all think might save me some heartache(not to mention wallet ache!!) so feel free to share the knowledge

I will post pictures when I have a bit more time and update the thread as I go and hopefully enlighten someone else.

Chairs

Storm
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

198? Honda Spree NQ50M (got parts of two different bike mixed up in there!)
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

I was under the impression the Spree was only made from 1984 thru 1987, but then I'm in the USA and don't know about other countries.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

I reckon you might have the good oil there as the rego label tells me it is an '88 model, but the dating stamp on the side covers says Feb '86.
Not one day that we are here on this earth is promised to us, so treat every day as if it is your last, and every breath as if it were the same

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Pictures as promised

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

As you can see there's a bit of TLC (ok, more like a couple 44 gallon drums!!) required

Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

So as you can see, I've got a fair slab of work to get stuck into :D
Oh well, it'll keep me out of trouble

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Make sure you get the rest of the cooling shroud.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Make sure you get the rest of the cooling shroud.
I second that - don't try running it for any substantial period of time without it!

Clive
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Cooling shroud being which bit?
(I realise how noob that sounds, but if its missing anything, obviously I dont know where the bits I haven't got aren't attached!!)

MotorMaker
Goped
Goped

Post by MotorMaker »

It is a piece of black plastic with a large hole in it for the spark plug boot to come through. It doesn├óÔé¼Ôäót look like much. Allot of kids remove them so the head can be seen, to make it look like a big bike. Vroom Vroom .The problem is that the shroud directs the air from the cooling fan over the head. On an air cooled engine having fins is just not enough cooling. You need air flow to carry the heat off. On scooters with extensive body panels (like sprees and elite├óÔé¼Ôäós) it is even more important.
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

That'll be the bit I dont have then :D
I'll have to get onto my local dealers and websites to source me one.
Can anyone post a picture of a shroud, preferably in place for reference please?
Thanks for the good word

Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Look here at the first pic. It's from the other side of the scooter, but it gives you the general idea.

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7225
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Well, theres no need to worry about sustained running at high temp, as I cant even get running at any temp currently!!
I've fitted the new battery and given the current spark plug a good scrubbing with a wire brush, but all I get is about two chugs out of the engine and no more, or two cylcles and then the starter motor spins freely

Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Clean carb?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Storm
Goped
Goped

Post by Storm »

Funny you should say that, I'm just about to head to the shed with Dac's "how to clean your carb" guide, a big can of carb cleaner and lots of rags