1987 Aero Petrified Tank Saga

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Wheelman-111

1987 Aero Petrified Tank Saga

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

This bike sat untouched for seven years in South Texas heat. For those of you who've never been here, a typical daily garage temp is ~110 degrees F. At least it wasn't in the sun. But the fuel system - all of it - congealed into its own ecosystem. There was a half-inch thick coating of very hard spongy resin coating the bottom of the tank. I call it The Beast. :twisted: At least its oily content prevented any significant rust.

I kept pouring the fluids resulting from my carb cleaning process into the tank. The mixture included gasoline, Sea Foam, adhesive remover, acetone, toluene (straight), Denatured Alcohol, and a half-can of carb cleaner sprayed into the tank for good measure. I call it [/b]The Dip :? It sat thus for three days with an occasional shake, when I got up the nerve to risk disturbing The Beast. :twisted:

Last night I poured everything out into my recycle can. I thought I could hear shrieking and moaning from inside the tank. :shock: Headed over to the local self-serve car wash under the cover of darkness. Spent three bucks and a half-hour blasting away with the hot soapy hi-pressure hose. The Beast :twisted: did not take it kindly. As the spray started dissecting down to bare metal, some chunks lifted but far more dug their claws deeper into the tank. At least the battle was confined within its walls, until the fluid level reached the level of the fuel gauge sender.

At that point, The Beast :twisted: exacted its revenge: I was blasted in the face with hot, soapy water/ancient solvent residues and chunks of amber shrapnel in a surprisingly refreshing blast. I knew exactly how Father Damien felt in that scene in The Exorcist.

Anyhow, the tank is about 70% down to bare metal and the remaining fragments of The Beast :twisted: at least are thinner. It's back to soaking in last night's carb cleaning dregs and a fresh batch of Dip. It won't give up easy, but neither will I. This time, it's personal.

PS: Anyone got a used Aero tank?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

If y'all really need to ride this thing (to keep the "XLS" pristine) then could ya fill it with gas and put in an on-line filter and just ride?

Shakin' and a movin' may help dissolve 'er out?

Or use a plastic gas tank in the meantime?

No Honda used tank here but I do have one from a '93 XL.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings, RCD:

The S is far from pristine, although due to child-rearing its mileage is no longer increasing as rapidly. ~15K on its clock and a lovely patina from living near Corpus Christi Bay.

Good ideas on the tank issue. However the saddle bolts to the stock tank, so it's kind of integral to the bike. I thought of chopping it so I could run a plastic tank inside the dry shell of the stock one, but that's a lot of work and there will be issues such as filler location. Plus, as I said; This time it's personal...

What color's your '93 Sportster tank? You know Black is the fastest color but white makes cagers think - just for a second - you're a cop. :)
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

The Sportster (90th anniv edition) was painted the orange and cream colour (think of a creamsickle) and was only a 2.5 so I got an larger 3.3 aftermarket tank and painted all the tins dark purple (think eggplant) :lol:
The 97 883 is black (pic's on my w-site)
roadcapDen
2 Harleys
4 Mopeds
1 Vespa 1 Spree 1 Beluga
Wheelman-111

Microscopic Particles in Fuel Can Foul Float Needle

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Think something like this could clot up a carb? That's a .22 Mag shell for scale. The Beast :twisted: vomited it at me last night at the car wash - see Petrified Aero Tank.
Wheelman-111
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

I have a tank that I might part with, but I found one on ebay as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-NB ... ccessories

The shipping sucks, but the tank comes with petcock, cap and float. Seems like a pretty good deal and in good condition!

Good luck,
Chester
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
Wheelman-111

NB50 Fuel Tank

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I may have to purchase another tank if I cannot defeat The Beast :twisted: . I have the original 1987 vacuum petcock, which uses a different size and thread pitch on the tank fitting from the '87. Fortunately I was able (I think) to resurrect the original petcock and also to fabricate an alternative -though non-vacuum-operated- fitting from Home Depot plumbing hardware. (The '86-'87 tank fitting uses plumbing standard thread pitch.)

I have a cap and purchased a new fuel sending unit before this offer came up. That alone cost me more than the whole assembly put together. Not to mention all the solvents and work that went into cleaning out my old tank, so my path is clear. Hang onto that old tank just in case I lose the battle with The Beast :twisted:

:D

Thanks again for all the help, Scooterdudes, much appreciated.
Wheelman-111
Wheelman-111

Clean Tank: The Beast Is Vanquished (or is he?)

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Whoever it was that suggested throwing a fistful of hardware in with the tank Dip, thank you! Having nothing better to do, I let the tank soak 24 hours on its THIRD(!) cycle, then set to agitatin'. Just rocking the tank back and forth for oh, maybe 20 minutes. (Had I been thinking, I would have strapped it to the rack of my Sportster and run up & down the block in 1st gear. There's not a better paint-shaker made today than a Blockhead at 4500 RPM :) )

There was surprisingly little rust beneath The Beast, and I got that off with the two-part Yamaha-branded Kreem. Really unbelievable considering the starting point. The outside of the tank has some peeling black paint, but the inside is cherry-clean.

Anyway I'll try to upload the fuzzy picture of The Beast's :twisted: former lair:

BB phone camera truly sucks, but the reflection you see is the flashlight over the gauge sender hole, shining off the bottom of the tank. The photo makes it look like rust but it's grey metal with the Yamaha coating - a sort of amber color. On to the rest of the fuel system. I posted this in hopes of helping anyone starting the process of cleaning a truly sad tank. Hope it helps.
Wheelman-111
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I wouldn't recommend that clear tubing, get some tygon(green/yellow). Clear tubes turn yellow and break, never seen tygon do that.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Replacement tubing on the way. Had this stuff on hand for temporary purposes - plus a cheapskate like myself likes to use up otherwise useless clutter. I won't leave it there long.

Thanks for the warning.
Wheelman-111
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re:

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:I wouldn't recommend that clear tubing, get some tygon(green/yellow). Clear tubes turn yellow and break, never seen tygon do that.
If the clear hose is rated to handle petroleum distillates, clear tubing will work, however it ain't cheap. The green and yellow stuff works as good and is cheaper.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree