Throttle question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hornet
BMX
BMX

Throttle question

Post by hornet »

Hey folks, I was wondering if you folks might be able to help me with my sccoters main problem.

My 1994 Honda Elite 50S has a VERY sensitive throttle lever. My throttle lever moves about 1 to1 and 1/8 inches in total movement, maybe a bit more, and when I give the lever a slight turn it wants to accelerate very quickly (WAY too quickly off the line, so-to-speak) it seems to get only about half-way of full throttle, then starts to...choke itself out?.. bog out? and as I continue to turn the accelerator lever even more, towards the end of it’s total movement, it kicks back on (starts to run pretty good again), but sounds even louder (VAROOOM!!!), and somewhat like it has a second carburetor that kicks in, and at the end of the levers range the engine revs up and down, as though the lever was being turned forward and back quite quickly (perhaps like a rev-limiter). It's as if (to me anyway, and I don't know much about these scooters yet) the throttle lever needs to be de-sensitized and perhaps needs less total throttle lever movement?

Wondering if you might have some information about this? Is the throttle lever adjustable? The throttle cable itself is NOT kinked as far as I can see, and it performed just fine when watching it in the garage several times, and when placed on a stand with the rear tire off the ground. I have cleaned the carb several times now, but have had no significant dirt in there since the first cleaning and no plugged ports or plugged anything since the initial cleaning either. I have a neighbor who has a 1986 Spree that works just fine, and his acceleration was MUCH slow and steadier, but what seemed to be proper for the scooter it is. My ‘94 Elite 50S is heavier and bigger of course.

My scooter seems WAY too peppy off the line to start (dangerous actually)... gets to half-way, loses power and then re-gains it in second carb form near the end, then varies/limits it's rpm's at the end of the levers range.

If you have any suggestions, I'd love to get your opinion!

The Hornet
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

doesnt sound like its a problem with the throttle cable itself. do u have ur airfilter assembly correctly hooked up?
projects galore :nerd:
hornet
BMX
BMX

Post by hornet »

With the air filter off the problem is lessened very slightly, but not to the point of anything close to running correctly either way.

The Hornet
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

best bet is to re clean the carb, blow out all passages with compressed air.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
hornet
BMX
BMX

Post by hornet »

Here is link to a picture of the rear of my carb. Is the opening in the carb butterfly (if that is the proper term) supposed to be closed more than this? The picture was taken before start-up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/ ... f88d05.jpg

The Hornet
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

hornet wrote:Here is link to a picture of the rear of my carb. Is the opening in the carb butterfly (if that is the proper term) supposed to be closed more than this? The picture was taken before start-up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/ ... f88d05.jpg

The Hornet
I think so, thats open too much for idle. can u adjust it?
projects galore :nerd:
hornet
BMX
BMX

Post by hornet »

With the stock air filter on it ran pretty poor, versus having no filter on it at all. So I took off the stock air filter and left only a nylon screen on it for now, and am looking for a aftermarket air filter.

Any suggestions as to what aftermarket air filter to use?

Carb looked from the rear as it should according to a friend of mine who did the fine carb tuning with me. Top speed about 32 mph now with full throttle, and hardly any hint of the mid lever lag it had previously.

Thanks guys for your suggestions and help!

The Hornet
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

well my air cleaner is accilly a thing for a car that i got and it fit on it. forgot that its called
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

a valvecover breather?
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

yeap i think. works real great.
Gruvin
Goped
Goped

Post by Gruvin »

Another thing to check is on your fuel jet, check and make sure that you can see a fair amount of light through it.
Mine was doing the same thing. the jet was clogged up.

Hope it helps.
1985 Spree Nq50 Special Edition