85 Honda Spree - help a scoot retard out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tacomascoot
Noob
Noob

Post by tacomascoot »

I just tried to jump the battery but the jumper cables were too big to hook onto the battery...
Are there jumper cables that are specifically designed for small batteries?

I just talked to the previous owner and he confirmed that the battery is old and the scooter has been sitting for a long time so the battery may indeed be the source of the problem.

Thanks for all of your help! I'm going to get a new battery tomorrow and I'll keep you posted.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

superkoot wrote:I had the same issue with my 85 Spree. It was the battery. I had a relatively new battery but it had lost its charge.

The noise was coming from the starter gear (bendix) simply not having enough juice to turn the engine.

I just Jumped it off and let it run for a while, a good trickle charge should fix you right up
One thing worth noting here is, to make SURE the ignition key is in the OFF (meaning no tail light is on) position. Otherwise, yedambetcha, next time ya wanna fire up yer bike.....................zzzzzzzzzz. :shock:

CaptDan {aka: Bin Dere Dundat :P }
roadcapDen
Goped
Goped

Post by roadcapDen »

Yup, sounds like the battery is not fully charged so it's not fully engaging the bendix. Get a new Battery and/or charge it up and do a load test.
If it still whines try lossening the spark plug (less compression) and try that, let us know.
roadcapDen
2 Harleys
4 Mopeds
1 Vespa 1 Spree 1 Beluga
tacomascoot
Noob
Noob

Post by tacomascoot »

Ok, I got a new battery, charged it up, and put it in the scoot. It's starting alright now, but I keeps wanting to stall...
Maybe I need to check the oil level and put in some new fuel?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Clean the carb, fill with fuel.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tacomascoot
Noob
Noob

Post by tacomascoot »

I filled the scooter with fuel and it immediately started running better. I couldn't crank the throttle all the way, but it was getting about 21 to 22 before it'd bog down.
Then today I started it - it's pretty cold here right now but it started right away. I let it idle for a while and then I rode it to campus. On my way home I hit a little bump and the scooter just died. Epic fail style. I tried to start it a million times, I swear, but I finally gave up when some people across the street started heckling me :(.

I haven't gone back to get it yet, but I need to bring it home cause it's supposed to snow tonight. Any ideas on what's wrong with it? I'm planning to clean the carb this weekend...

Thanks,
Sandie
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Carb related.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Wheelman-111

Little Bump?

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You mentioned hitting a bump. I surmise that you think this precipitated the "epic-style" failure. Do tell us more. If the scooter is where you left it, I'd try one more time to start it. Let it warm up 5 min. or more.

If it won't, wheel it home and report your findings. I suspect cold-weather gremlins. Icing carb, or just the "in-between" mixture issues that occur when it's too warm for the bystarter but too cold for the unassisted carb jetting to get going.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH