battery specs for 86 spree?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikeg
Noob
Noob

battery specs for 86 spree?

Post by mikeg »

Hi,

Just picked up a Spree on Sunday for $500 CDN. It's a red 86. I've seen mention of buying batteries at walmart that are "spree size". What are the dimensions and specs of a battery for an 86 spree? I've looked at the tech docks, but couldn't find anything specific. It would be great to drop by walmart instead of having to do a special order...

I also have a gas leak - I don't know what to do about it. I'm not mechanically inclined, but if it's a simple fix, I'll go for it. I'm just about to put up some pics here: http://www.stunningpics.com/spree

This will show where the gas is leaking - any advise would be great. I haven't ridden it yet : (

mike
ps - I also have a 1983 honda C70 - could I transplant the battery from that?
pps - I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia. (first post)
Spreewell
Spree
Spree

Post by Spreewell »

I have an '87 and just bought a new battery at Fleet Farm. Bring your old battery with and look up Honda Spee in the battery guide. When I installed the new battery I realized they fit really snug, make sure you get the exact same size or you'll have to modify the battery holder. They charge an exchange fee so you might want to bring the old one with so you don't have to make a second trip.
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

problem is that I bought the scoot without a battery...
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

oops - i screwed up the link - now fixed.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

by the look of the pics u havent cleaned the carb yet have you? thats what i would recommend doing. that should solve your problem.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
Spreewell
Spree
Spree

Post by Spreewell »

You don't need a battery in order to get a new one. Where ever scoot batteries are sold they should have a battery guide to look up your battery number then see if they have one available. You can always go to Honda.

As far as the leak goes it looks like gas is running out of an over flow. If so something might be wrong with your float. I'm no expert but I think it should have a hose that just runs to the ground. From the looks of your pics you might want to go through the carb. Lots of info on this forum, search around!

Good luck!
DENMAN
Noob
Noob

Post by DENMAN »

THE CORRECT BATTERY FOR THE 86 SPREE IS A GT4LBS. THEY ARE READILY AVAILABLE AT DISCOUNT BATTERY STORES. I PAID 28.50 IN JULY 05. NOTE THE BIKE DOES NOT NEED A BATTERY TO START AND RUN. THE BATTERY SERVES ONLY TO BOOST THE LIGHTS, HORN AND TURN SIGNALS.
DENMAN
SHREVEPORT, LA
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

thanks.

I'm in Nova Scotia, so not much selection. I've ordered one in though. I don't suppose you had a look at my spree pictures (link above)...any advice would be great. gas leak from carb. : (

haven't had much time to look into the details of cleaning it out or adjusting the float. might just take it to a mech.

thanks again everyone,
mike
Spreewell
Spree
Spree

Post by Spreewell »

Mike-

You can clean the carb by yourself, you don't need much for tools, just a metric socket set and a couple screwdrivers. Follow the instructions in the tech section and down load the service manual.

Good luck!