Help My 1983 Honda Aero idles at max speed!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kaseyjconda32
Noob
Noob

Help My 1983 Honda Aero idles at max speed!!!

Post by kaseyjconda32 »

well i bought a 1983 honda aero and i got it started finally after hours. but it starts hard and when it does warm up it just goes at max speed and the brake is the only way i can get it to idle back down. i seee that the idle screw is missing so i ordered one of them and its on its way. could the throttle be stuck wide open???? what esle could it be so i can get this problem fixed
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Well not having an idle screw probably is a big problem. To see if its at WOT, take the air cleaner off and look at the carb opening. When you twist the throttle do you see the piece move up and out of the way to allow more air in?

If so, then its not that your throttle is stuck.

Most likely all caused by that idle screw being gone.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
kaseyjconda32
Noob
Noob

Post by kaseyjconda32 »

if i put my finger over the whole should it do anything ???
kaseyjconda32
Noob
Noob

Post by kaseyjconda32 »

ok there is a top screw and a middle and a bottom what are each for i am missing the middle and i think thats the idle screw am i right?????????
Wheelman-111

Screwing Around

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you're running the stock PA04 model 14mm Keihin carb:

The lowermost screw is the float bowl drain. It has an o-ring hidden behind and needs to be tightened down firmly.

The middle screw controls the idle mixture. There should be a spring behind it, but the spring and most of the screw is normally hidden within the carb body. Some people contend that there is also supposed to be a tiny washer behind the screw on some models. None on my 1987 Aero. That screw is to be seated lightly, then turned 1-1/2 to 2 full turns out as a starting point for idle mixture adjustment. Is this the one you're missing? If so you're running a very lean idle mixture and this could be destructive.

The uppermost screw has a phillips/flat round head that protrudes quite a bit away from the carb body. There is a visible spring behind the head. This is the throttle stop and serves to set idle speed, not the mixture as noted above. It simply keeps the throttle slide from closing all the way. It can be turned with a gloved hand.

My Aero had sat with a full tank of fuel for 7 years. The throttle slide was absolutely epoxied to the bore, needing to be dipped for several days in carb cleaner just to get it to budge without breaking the carb in half. I suspect something like that is preventing your throttle slide from closing.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Salvatore
Noob
Noob

Post by Salvatore »

I had the same problem with the aero i bought and i had to do exactly what Wheelman explained above. I havent soaked it in carb cleaner yet because it seeemed like everything was working fine. Maybe i will do that once i get the rest of the scooter back together. I would wait untill you get the screw and see what that does before you take the whole thing apart.
Good Luck,
Sal
1981 Honda C70
1985 Honda Aero50