AntiBattery?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ziraya
Spree
Spree

AntiBattery?

Post by Ziraya »

I'm working my moped out of the winter, so far it's running pretty well (actually better then before the winter somehow) but the battery is doing something really weird

When I start the bike with the battery disconnected everything runs fine, the lights light, the turnsignal can't quite go but other then that it's all fine, then I turn the battery on, the running lights go to half power, the speedometer backlit goes off all together, and the turnsignals stop responding completely

If I turn the bike off and switch on the battery most of the lights are semilit as I would expect, the horn kinda goes, and the starter makes this sound that makes me think I've stripped the gear; so the battery's good and wired in fine, so why is it causing a power drain?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: AntiBattery?

Post by ALOW1 »

Ziraya wrote: so why is it causing a power drain?
The battery is dead and the scooter is trying to charge the battery when it is running.

Charge the battery up and then put it back in the scoot and try again.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

it charged all last night and this morning, the charger says charged, and the lights light, so it can't be dead?
... unless it's 'dead' dead...?
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Ziraya wrote:it charged all last night and this morning, the charger says charged, and the lights light, so it can't be dead?
... unless it's 'dead' dead...?
So when you took the battery off the charger today and put it in the scoot, it fired right up by using the electric start?
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

The electric start sounds like it's just spinning, so I think it's broked, the kick start works fine though
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Starter may be spinning slow. Try jumping off a car battery and see if the starter works. I think you have a weak/shorted battery.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

noiseguy wrote:Starter may be spinning slow. Try jumping off a car battery and see if the starter works. I think you have a weak/shorted battery.
Thats what I am also thinking.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

is there anything that can be done to fix it? batteries aren't hard to come by, but I'm without alternate transportation at the moment
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Ziraya wrote:is there anything that can be done to fix it? batteries aren't hard to come by, but I'm without alternate transportation at the moment

You said it runs fine with the battery disconnected.

So disconnect the battery and ride it.

I have been riding mine for well over a year with out a battery in it.
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

it runs fine, but the dinkers don't dink, and I'm surrounded by multilane 50mph roads
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Ziraya wrote:it runs fine, but the dinkers don't dink, and I'm surrounded by multilane 50mph roads
Mine only work when I am not holding the brake. While out riding though with the revs up they work fine.

I will be putting a battery in it this summer to be safe, because I dont like the dim lights when idling.
Wheelman-111

The Original Question

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings

It sounds like you need a new battery. Honda-san can get them for under $60. delivered here in Deepinnaharta, Texas. Cheaper alternatives exist.

You said nothing of the model/year of your bike or the age of its battery. A battery can be "dead" as in Discharged over the winter. It should just charge on a regular charger and be fine, if yours won't;

Then again it can be "Dead" from a chemical deposit of Sulfates on the plates. "Smart" chargers can detect this from resistance measurements made automatically by these devices. Then the device can tailor a charging regimen to reverse sulfation and charge it back up, at least for a while, automatically. Battery Tender is one brand of such chargers. Then again;

A battery can be "DEAD" due to internal corrosion causing electrical discontinuity or internal short-circuiting. You can repair that by cutting open the case, smelting and casting some lead plates and wiring everything up before pressure-sealing the cover back on the battery in an oven/press. Then just add some acid. :)

Hello, Honda-san??
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

just got back, bought a new battery, 48$~, rain...

88/89 SB50
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You can get a decent battery for around $30.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:You can get a decent battery for around $30.
What brand, where to buy said $30 battery? I need like 3 of them. LOL
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges