NO SPARK!!!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zoom
Spree
Spree

NO SPARK!!!

Post by zoom »

Ive been working on this thing all day and when i go to start it wont. Ivelooked at the spark and i dont see anything. do ayll no wut it could be. and how do i check for it. and also when i checked compression it was really high i think it read around 140 and 140 should it be liek this. thanks for any help.
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

CHeck list for spark:

1) Brake lever pulled

2) Ground wire from battery terminal to CDI reads nearly 0 ohms, Positive battery lead reads 0 ohms

3) Plug cap on spark plug, grounded to engine

4) Continuity check of all wires on CDI to make sure

a) Crimped ends are touching CDI tangs

b) Wires are not corroded

5) Test pulse generator per service manual

If that fails then you need to step up the diagonsis, by either testing the CDI/coil on a different working spree or getting a known working CDI/coil. If still no spark, then it lies in the wires and/or pulse generator.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

when im checking the ohm's i have one of those yellow things with all the knobs witch one should i put it on and wut should it read. im all new to electronics so any information would be good.
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

oh yeah and witch one is the cdi ?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

cdi looks like this.

00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

brake level did not have to be on when I checked for spark. As long as your kill switch is on, spark will be there. turn it on w/ the key, set switch to on and hold the sparkplug close to the engine head. if it works, a bright blue spark will appear. if nothing happens, you've got some ignition problems.
projects galore :nerd:
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

keep in mind when u hold it to the engine, hold it by the plastic boot. not the rubber cable.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

By brake lever pulled, I am assuming he is using the electric start. No brake lever needed if using the kick start.

Was this running? Was it running while you owned it? Has it been sitting long? What is the condition of the wires/battery/flywheel? All would indicate a different approach to diagnosis. I would start at the simple easy fixes first then worry about the CDI/Pulse generator since they rarely go out from just sitting.

With a 20+year old spree most of the electrical problems will lie in corroded wires and or corroded connectors, or in some cases the lack of full contact when friction (spade) connectors lose their spring and need to be reshaped to grab the tang.

The if the coil reads the correct ohms per the manual then the coil has a good chance of working.

If you have a 2 amp trickle charger you can test the coil/spark plug under controlled conditions to rule those out.

Since you have little working knowledge of a multimeter either I or others on the board will have to give you detailed instructions for settings and where to connect. Once you understand how to use it, it becomes easier to understand the way the wiring works.

I am swamped at work, so I will hopefully be able to give more detail by the end of the week.

Good luck
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

No it was runing before i did the replaced the pison and the rings. I have i think its a volt tester maybe not to shure, but i grounded the ngative and put the postive one where the spark plug goes and wen its just sittin there it reades about 50 to 60 but i turn it over it goes to around 500to 600. So i think the spark plug might be the problem. ill try it and see, but does that sound right.
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

I feel like a real d.a . See before i ever got the parts i was painting it nd i had taped the handle bars and that had truned the off button off, so ive wasted abbout 12 hours tryin to figure out what the problem was. But i finally got it cranked after3 months and 2 sets of rings. and this thing is so much fatser then when i got it cuz when i got it couldnt even pull me up a hill now it flies up a hill. tomorrow i will get everything running right and tuned in. but fori went to wal mart and they had bombadeir 2-stroke inkector oil and soi didnt have any other options i got tht , is that ok or wut do i need to get? thanks for all the input.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

zoom wrote:I feel like a real d.a . See before i ever got the parts i was painting it nd i had taped the handle bars and that had truned the off button off, so ive wasted abbout 12 hours tryin to figure out what the problem was. But i finally got it cranked after3 months and 2 sets of rings. and this thing is so much fatser then when i got it cuz when i got it couldnt even pull me up a hill now it flies up a hill. tomorrow i will get everything running right and tuned in. but fori went to wal mart and they had bombadeir 2-stroke inkector oil and soi didnt have any other options i got tht , is that ok or wut do i need to get? thanks for all the input.
lol, told u the switch just had to be in the "on" position. :wink:

get "Genuine GN2 2stroke oil" from a honda dealership. It's what i use on my spree and vento.
projects galore :nerd:
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

Ok now i have another problem yesterday i could get it to crank after it truned over about 10 times now i cant even get it to crank. the compresion is 130, its getting spark, adn ive cleaned the i dont know how many times, ive been workin on it all day today and cant figure it out ive put gas in the chamber adn it wont start then some times it will start but only for like 30 seconds and it doesnt have any power, i have a filter and a top so i dont know wut im going to do now. do yall know wut it is.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

you exoust is clogged. that was wrong with mine when i got it.
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

Well i went and got some strated fluid after 30 mintues i got it to crank.But now it sams to run fine except the carb is stripped and its always coming looose which isnt real good becasue i barely have to touch the throttle at all i can ride up down hill with no hands the only reason i put my hands is to steer. so shoould i go bie a tap and tap or what should i do?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i had to tap mine but if you are interested i have some carb tops left over. you know the top part.