Excessive oil in the card intake

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SayTen
BMX
BMX

Excessive oil in the card intake

Post by SayTen »

I was looking at my oil filter today and saw a lot of blue in the bottom of the filter. So I took it off an low and behold there was a lil puddle in the intake port of the crab. I havent done anything to the oil pressure or anything. It started this awhile ago when I let a friend ride it and he wrecked it. I think It maybe the oil line to the carb. It looks a lil more bent then it did before.

I also noticed that I have some oil either coming out of the exhaust or maybe its coming from the oil pump I'm not really sure. But it looks like there is some oil building up there. Not blue either. But a kind of brownish color. I'm wondering if thats the used oil from the bent oil intake on the carb leaking out of the exhaust pipe because it isn't getting burnt off.

After noticing this I took it for a spin around the block. I've now lost about 5mph!!!! Went from 35mph top speed to 30mph top speed.

Also the starter desided to work? It hasn't worked since I bought it. But now it kicks over everytime. I'm kinda confused on that one? Maybe its the oil leaking from the exhaust that set it free from being rusted. Not really sure.

If anyone can help or has had this problem let me know so I can fix it. I was so happy getting it to 35mph and now it dropped 5mph and I'm sad. LOL. But if there is a way to fix this easy with out having to buy a new oil pump or anything expensive. Please, Oh, Please let me know.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

A oil mist blowing from the carb and building up in the airbox is normal.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
SayTen
BMX
BMX

Post by SayTen »

Hmm. I was wondering that. Also seems to have a lot of back fire coming from the intake. Kinda like there isn't enough exhaust gass escaping from the exhaust and it's coming out of the intake. Would stronger reeds fix this issue?

Or am I going to have to just get new exhaust?
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

sounds like a small reed gap issue.....I'd take them out and look them over VERY well, one time I had a single piece of RTV sealant that I had used for my intake gaskets get lodged in my reed-valve....d*** bike would barely run, hard to start, backfired....taking the reed valve apart and cleaning it, and then putting it back together nice 'n tight solved the problem.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
SayTen
BMX
BMX

Post by SayTen »

Yea the thing is I just replaced them with factory spec. I think it may really be an exhaust issue. Also probably the problem with the oil coming out. My driven face cover has oil all over it from the thing spitting gas and oil out.

I hit the gas and I can see a fine mist blowing out of the carb.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

I guess one way to figure out what is happening is to take your intake manifold and reed-valve off and look directly into the crankcase. I'm willing to bet you may have quite a bit of oil pooled in there. If you've been running the bike for more than a few minutes and it's still there, your oil pump may be bad and it may be leaking oil out into the crankcase. If that's happening, many bad things could be happening (or, at least, messy things). If you search on these forums, there's a 5-gallon bucket test for an oil pump to determine if the seals are still good. As for the backfiring in the intake, I hate to say it, but it still sounds like a reed issue, as strong, healthy reeds would hold anything like that in the crankcase. You could also give your muffler a potassium-hydroxide (lye) or sodium-hydroxide (behaves identical to lye, main ingredient in "the Works" toilet bowl cleaner) bath. Plug one end of the muffler with a spud, and then fill her up. Kind of a PITA, but oh well, and let it sit for a good couple of days. Also, hard to drain all of the water out, too.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
SayTen
BMX
BMX

Post by SayTen »

guhhhaaa. Yea I figured it would be something. Seems I work on this thing more than I ride it. LOL.

But hey it's a project right? It gets me from point a to point b with minimal issues.

I see your point with the oil. I may get stronger reeds anyway just to compensate (sp) for the backfire. As a quick fix. I didn't see much oil in the bottom of the intake manifold. NO blue in there. I think the valve on the carb is just been pulled out some and it's causing oil to pool up in the carb. No big deal cause it just blows out on start up :)

Oil pump is expensive!!!! and seems like it could be a pain in the *donkey* to fix. I guess it'll be good one my tax return gets here so I can dump some money into this thing.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Just remember, don't replace a part until you know it's bad. Waste of money.