Washed - Now Electric Start doesn't Work!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bsquared
Noob
Noob

Washed - Now Electric Start doesn't Work!

Post by bsquared »

I purchased a Spree a few months ago (in the dead of Winter here in Michigan) and being that it was in the upper 50s here today I decided to clean it up a little. I hosed it down and washed it, started it up and went for ride to dry it off. When I got home I tried the electric start and it sounds like it's barely turning the engine over. It's got a brand new battery in it and the kick-start starts it up on the first kick. It worked perfectly prior to my wash.

So what did I get wet that I shouldn't have? Will it dry on it's own or do I need to dismantle something to dry it out?

Any suggestions are appreciated.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Let it dry overnight and try again, I've washed these motors to * with exposed starter and was fine when dry
projects galore :nerd:
Wheelman-111

Kick Starting Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If you can kickstart it and let it run or ride it around a while, it will dry in less time. A little clean water won't be a problem. Salt water is another matter if it corrodes some connections or motor windings...

I had another Honda (XL 600R) that was sensitive to car-wash blasting. It was kickstart only and considerably more painful to kick over... :(
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH