New Battery

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Grandpa
Goped
Goped

New Battery

Post by Grandpa »

This is just a warning ........

Last spring I bought a battery for my Spree at Walmart. Brought it home and used it all summer with no problem. This winter I found it dead, or at least low, so kept a trickle charger on it after that. I've just got the Spree going again (after a top end rebuild and some other problems) and found the battery just wouldn't hold a charge. I was kinda * since it's only a year old but thought it was my fault for letting the charge get low.

This morning I was thinking about it and decided to change acid, just because I have some new acid on hand.

I took out the caps and went to pour out the acid and THERE WASN'T ANY. Foolish me thought Walmart would have all their batteries ready to go so didn't check it.

I don't know if Walmart just screwed up or if they don't put the acid in them before sale.

Just to let everyone know to check their new batteries.
dwsracing
Goped
Goped

Post by dwsracing »

I buy mine thru the dealer, 20.00 and they fill it up and charge or I take it home and charge. We get a full season per battery
spreemadness
Noob
Noob

Post by spreemadness »

just any honda dealer? i didnt think they would keep stock for such an old bike.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Generally speaking these batteries come dry. I had a diehard from sears in my spree it worked great for 4 years just letting it sit over the winter in the -20F temps.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I bought one from the dealer and it cost me $45. The acid came in the same box but was not inside the battery. They had to pour it in for me