Transmission Oil Change

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GlynnC
Noob
Noob

Transmission Oil Change

Post by GlynnC »

First time to post on the forum, but I've read hundreds of the posts, looking for information. Lots of good, useful info here--more to say about this on a future post--thanks to all of you who have already found solutions to most of my Spree problems..

I just acquired (free) two "not running but all there" Sprees-- '86 with 1200 miles and '87 with 1500 miles--no mods on either. After a few hours, many visits to the technical forum, and a few parts, the Sprees are running great. Isn't it fun to get something running that's suppose to be dead.

In an effort to do all the needed maint., I attemped to change the transmission fluid. Only a very small amount of water/oil drained out with the scooter laying on it's side. I then added new 10W40 until it flowed out the hole--approx 1 oz. Rode the scooter a few minutes, and repeated the process--only the new oil drained out. Again was only able to add approx 1 oz. According to owners manual, it should be holding 2.5 to 3 oz. What's a good way to loosen up any sludge that might not be free flowing--I'm thinking goo must in there taking up space?
87 Honda Spree
86 Honda Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Seafoam it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GlynnC
Noob
Noob

Post by GlynnC »

Thanks for the answer. I thought about Seafoam but didn't have any available at the time. I sprayed brake fluid cleaner down the vent hose, let it set a few minutes, then blew air into it for a while, turned it over to drain the fluids, then continued with the air to dry it out. I was then able to get approx 2.5 oz of new oil in. Worked so good, I did this to the '86 Spree with same results.
87 Honda Spree
86 Honda Spree