bystarter help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tony6264
Noob
Noob

bystarter help

Post by tony6264 »

I really need some advice/help here.
I have a 84 Aero NH80....runs great when warm...hard to start when cold...like, 10-12 tries before it will idle evenly.
I have been reading alot about the bystarter and I think I would like to try and test mine....the only problem is, being new to all of this , I dont know what it looks like, where it is located or where to get a new one if need be.
HELP PLEASE!
1984 Honda NH80 Aero
tony6264
Noob
Noob

bystarter

Post by tony6264 »

OK....I have done some more research...about 3 hours, and it sounds as though my scooter has a vacuum bystarter. When I look at the carb area, I see something sitting above the carb with 3 hoses going to it. Is that the bystarter? If it is, how do I test it or is there a way to clean and or lube it?
1984 Honda NH80 Aero
Wheelman-111

SpreElitAerology

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Most people here know nothing about Aero 80s. I am one of those people.

On SpreElitAeros, the bystarter is a black plastic cylinder inserted into a well toward the far side of the carb. Our Esteemed Moderators have posted a Service Manual for your consultation somewhere.

If you attempt to pull off those "hoses" (don't :) ) you may find one of them contains a pair of copper wires. Our bystarters are electric devices. Their "default" positions allow for easy cold starts. When they fail, the problems arise as the scooter warms up. That doesn't sound like your problem, does it?

I'm only guessing, but it sounds like you' may be lacking for fuel in the carb. Search fuel filter cleaning and start there.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tony6264
Noob
Noob

bystarter

Post by tony6264 »

I have the manual here for the 83-84 aero...although it seems most of it applies to 83's....not sure about the fuel thing though....if I give it a quick spray of starting fluid, it fires right up till it uses all of it up and then sputters out.....I HAVE read all of the warnings about using starter fluid and will try WD-40 next time. The weird thing is, once it is started and running it will run perfect, so I am not sure about any kind of fuel delivery problems.
But here is maybe a stupid question....should I be turning the throttle BEFORE starting...much like an older carberated car where you pumped the gas a couple times first then started?
Also, when we had a warmer day here in wonderful Pa......I had it out in the sun for a while and when I went to start it, it only took me a couple tries and it was fine. And once it is warmed up...it starts EVERYTIME...no matter what the outside temp is.
1984 Honda NH80 Aero
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

bystarter

Post by mikehailwood »

tony, It sounds like your bystarter works like that on the late model Honda Express. For an explanation of how it works, go to the Honda Service Manuals on this site. Click on the link to mopedriders.org. Click on Honda Express Manuals.., select Honda NC50 NA50 Express Manual 1977-1981, at the next screen click on Honda NC50 NA50....again. Go to pages 31-4 and 31-5 for explanation and drawings. Gotta make sure the bystarter filter is clean and the lines are hooked up properly and working.