Carb Jetting in Stock Sprees

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GlynnC
Noob
Noob

Carb Jetting in Stock Sprees

Post by GlynnC »

Just finished (almost) bringing '86 & '87 Sprees out of years of hibernation. Both start and run great, no mods. However, the '87 has obvious better & smoother acceleration from start to top end, no apparent dead zones. Top speed is about the same. The '86 has a slight dead zone at mid point. Both mufflers have been decarboned by heating in the gas grill. Air filters are new and air holes is air boxes are clean. Carbs have been cleaned, cleaned, and cleaned--they seem to be running too good for carb problems. The only known diff is the main jet--the better running one has a 65, the other a 68. The 68 jet is new--prior owner apparently tried to modify original with a BIG drill.

Could the slightly bigger jet be causing a rich fuel mix, and thus a little slugish in acceleration?
87 Honda Spree
86 Honda Spree
ANDREW
Spree
Spree

carb jetting

Post by ANDREW »

yes and no if the crab jet is SLIGHTLY bigger it can give you a higher topend speed and more power but if it is too big it could be bogging out and runing rich because of too much fule. i would put a smaller jet in it.
Wheelman-111

Rich Can Be Slow

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

GlynnC axes:

Could the slightly bigger jet be causing a rich fuel mix, and thus a little slugish in acceleration

Certainly.

But so can slight differences in dozens of other components. Compression comes to mind. Might be worth procuring another 65 or just swapping carbs to test the theory.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Mid range is controlled by the needle clip setting, play around with that.

You can get a very noticeable boost by smoothing out the transition in the intake manifold. Look from the carb end, if you have the slightest grasp on flow you will know what to do.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GlynnC
Noob
Noob

Post by GlynnC »

Thanks for the responses, although I'm a new member, I've read many of the posts, and have been impressed with the combined knowledge and experience represented by the members of this forum.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I can get back to the Sprees, but will probably do the carb swap to test the results--will post outcome.

These 2 Sprees are running almost too good to believe to have been asleep as long as they've been--and probably not cared for as well by previous owners as the TLC they'll get under my ownership. I would like them to remain dependable for many years to come.

However, Kenny you bring up an interesting point of looking at the intake. The intakes do very obviously have a rough transition as discussed many times in the forum. I would like to clean this restriction up a little, but don't want to do anything to mess up these little scooters apparent toughness. How much, if any, derestricting can be done without losing the reliability?
87 Honda Spree
86 Honda Spree