rough start up ride

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

rough start up ride

Post by burnt_toast »

well this is an issue on both of my scoots, but mainly on the vento (since i don't use the spree regularly).

What happens is after starting up, idle is normal. But, then right as I start riding it feels like its trying to "break through" to get to higher speeds, then once top speed is reached it will ride like normal. So in conclusion, this only happens right when I start up and try to ride up to speed.

I hope somebody know what I am talking about and can let me know whats up. I think I might be running lean/rich, but haven't done a plug check. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.
projects galore :nerd:
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

same on both my scoots too. normal i think. my plugs are fine.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

What you describe is a rich condition, when the cylinder is getting too much fuel. This is not unusual with a carb/choke set up at a cold start. If it doesn't do it when it is warmed up then it should be ok.

You will notice a rich condition on a warm engine when it is at its top end and either you head down a hill or doing straight and it feels like someone is pulling at the back, the engine hesitates. It is pulling so hard that it starts to take on too much fuel. This can be adjusted by the smaller jet and or raising the clip on the throttle as previously mention to lean out the mix.
Last edited by ferchja on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Mine does this too. If you wait a few minutes to warm up, it won't. But why?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ferchja
Spree
Spree

Post by ferchja »

My thoughts with no hard evidence.

1) Too much oil in the crank case from excess in line that drips into the intake, and or leak by from the oil pump shaft seal (non replaceable, you have to live with the oil pump leak unless you want to buy a new one).

2) Idle circuit is enlarged causing excess fuel until the bystarter shuts it off.

3) Air filter is dirty creating a suction that with the idle circuit open draws more fuel then needed.

If mine sits for a week or so, it will smoke and hesitate for about 1 minute then it will be fine. I think it just if buring some excess oil off that settles in the crankcase.

I had the same issue when I oiled the cylinder to install the pistons, the crankcase maybe had about an ounce of oil and it sputtered for a good mile or two before it heated up and burned off the excess.
Jeremy Ferch
1985 Spree (NQ50) - Mid restoration
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

my old elite engine used to do this and take forever to warm up too. i swapped carbs with the spree, and it stopped doing it.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Yeh i figured it was normal, but maybe there was some way around it. Just kinda sucks when I want to show off my exhaust on the vento right after startup, and it'll sound crappy getting up to speed. :?

Btw, it does not do this when warmed up.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

I've had countless problems with my Next R exhaust, and its now off.. :cry: hopefully after I fix all the problems I can put it back on..

My stock silverstone pipe is now back on, and it barely experiances the startup ride problem.