rear wheel?!?!?!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

liz
Noob
Noob

rear wheel?!?!?!

Post by liz »

I cant get it off. Is there a special trick? HELP
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I've had occasion to use the rear brake to assist with holding the wheel still. I turn the nut on the back end of the cable until I can barely squeeze the brake handle. Then I squeeze the rear brake handle real hard, and use the brake locking thing to hold it there. Then I turn the nut off the rear axle with a cheater bar.

-aseigler
AustinS
BMX
BMX

Post by AustinS »

is it spinning when you try?

If your brake can't old the rear wheel still enough to remove it then you will probably need a impact wrench. I had an electric impact wrench so it was pretty easy.

You can try to get someone to sit on it while you loosen it. If you have something with a really long handle that you can put around the socket and really go fast at it then that might work.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a impact wrench then you can buy one of these puppies.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ord=impact

You put it on the bolt and then hammer the back of it and it will get it going for you.
liz
Noob
Noob

Post by liz »

well thank you, That would be where I was having an issue. My back brake isnt hooked up because its missing a piece. I tried it on the other "parts" spree I have and sure enough it worked. SO I'll have to snatch the brake part off that bike hook it up then get my wheel off. thanks
Wheelman-111

Sticky Nuts

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Ah, the stuck Axle Nut. What tool are you using? I recommend six months of intensive weight training, or you can hire a mountain gorilla or you can provide Wheelman with airfare to your location. (I have the strength of 111 ordinary Wheelmen...)

Nuts can be tough to crack, but through The Miracle of Leverage, almost all can be removed. (WARNING: Do NOT search the forum for rumored Wheelman Misadventures with a front axle removal.)

A box-end wrench is the preferred tool. If it won't budge, try a longer one. A cheater bar can be added to increase your applied torque - just a length of pipe slipped over the wrench as an extra-long handle.

Still too stubborn? It's surprising how a little heat applied to a nut can help it let go of its comfortable, familiar situation and grow and become a more fulfilled, self-actualized nut. Unfortunately the NyLoc self-locking material will be rendered useless with a flame torch. You could consider a heat or paint-remover gun, but be prepared to have to replace the nut. Wheels falling off can hurt.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
liz
Noob
Noob

Post by liz »

AustinS wrote:is it spinning when you try?

If your brake can't old the rear wheel still enough to remove it then you will probably need a impact wrench. I had an electric impact wrench so it was pretty easy.

You can try to get someone to sit on it while you loosen it. If you have something with a really long handle that you can put around the socket and really go fast at it then that might work.

If you don't want to spend the big bucks on a impact wrench then you can buy one of these puppies.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ord=impact

You put it on the bolt and then hammer the back of it and it will get it going for you.

luckily I do dispatch for a crane company so weve got impact wrenches and much more thanks
superspree09
Noob
Noob

Re: rear wheel?!?!?!

Post by superspree09 »

I feel your apin. I just bought my first spree. It is in pretty ugly shape. I tore down 90% of the bike in about two hours, cleaning as I went. That was the other night. I have spent more time today just trying to get the darn rear axle nut. First I tried to get it with a hammer on the end of a long box end. Then I went to the cheater. Both started the stripping process. I tried the WD-40, heat, and a cheater bar... :twisted: ...NOTHING, unless you count totally stripping it out. I am now at a pipe wrench and sledge hammer!!! SWEET :D !!!!
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

the first time i tried to get my rear wheel off my sb50 i had the rear break locked, i was holding the wheel, and my wife was sitting on the bike....wheel still spun/lifted bike off ground

so i took the tranny cover off and put a wrench on the clutch nut...the gearing helped me hold it still while i d*** near dislocated my shoulder breaking it loose :twisted:

never had that problem again (knocks on wood)
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

i just take a pipe and put it in the wheel trough the mag and put a breaker bar on it and SQUEEEEEEEEEEK it is free. then a little cleaning and it never takes a ton of pressure next time
hahahh
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

any safety issues with putting these back on? If it takes that much to get it off, what should you use to put it back on? I'm assuming your standard ratchet isn't gonna cut it :?
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Usually takes a heavy duty screwdriver proped between the spokes and leverage from the case. Large ratchet then one good blow with the rubber mallet usually does the trick. O I forgot to mention use whatever lube you have around (KY, WD, Liquid Wrench) and let soak for about 30 min. After you get the nut off make sure you wiggle the rim side to side a bit then pull as you wiggle.

Or an impact would work too :lol:
dreamer1uk
BMX
BMX

Post by dreamer1uk »

Hi,

I just used a breaker bar and a 6 point quality socket. I just sat in the Spree and broke the rear axle nut loose.

When you are ready to put the rear wheel back on, the proper torque spec for the axle nut is 47 to 58 ft lbs. Again, i just sat on the Spree to do this.

Hope this helps somewhat :)
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Cheapo 12V impact wrench from Harbor Freight ($19.99 when on sale) does the job quite well for me and saves me having to drag out the compressor!
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc