Horrible grinding noise.. OUCH!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

toboggan
Elite
Elite

Horrible grinding noise.. OUCH!

Post by toboggan »

So after finding that my kick start half moon spindle was chewed to *, i got a new one.

Put that on, i know i still need to tension up that spring, but i put everything back on and put the cover back on, and started it up, and it started right up, but there was this horrible grinding sound.

I took the cover back off, and made sure everything was aligned. and everything was good.

Put the cover back on, and bam, horrible grinding sound was still there.

Pulled that cover back off, and started it up without the cover, no grinding sound.

So i have not the slightest idea as to what it could be.

Any help is appreciated!

~toboggan
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Make sure that the gears on the kickstarter cover are installed properly as well as the springs. If I remember correctly there are a couple pf washers that go in there too.
http://images.powersportsnetwork.com/fi ... 20FACE.gif
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

its that worm gear thing grinding on the inner /outside pulleyt teeth that it catches to stat.

ur problems with that spring i had the same issue
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Whoa. What?! haha. that wasn't too descriptive. Would you happen to have a link to a picture or something that would help me more?

Thanks!!

~toboggan
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

Alright, i re-read your post, and it makes more sense, but i still don't know what the "worm" gear is. haha

And if it is the spring, what did you do. am i supposed to tension it up?
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

heyy haha srry about that i was in a rush and yeah i just confused myself reading that.
ok so u take the cover off and put it on you lap.

the kickstart comes trought the case and attatches to a half moon gear.
when that turns it moves the little gear touching it(worm gear) out ward until it touches the pulley. (therfore turning thee engine over) on the pulley where it touches there are little teeth so it grabs and will turn the bike over.

if ur still with me then yay hah.

sooo on the outside between the kickstart and the case there is a little clip to keep the kickstart pulled out and everything alliend . if it is there r not the spring on the inside can get somehow outta wac and not roll up properly not letting the half moon gear come back fully leaving the worm gear seim outward and not back up against the case making a grinding noise and restrictying the enginee.

so if the spring is messed up the moon gear cant come back to its rest position so the worm gear is semi turned out which is grinding on the pulley so................... either u understand that or i just confused the s*** outta everybody

so either your welcome or my bad some one fix that^ haha
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

nysnowborder wrote:either u understand that or i just confused the s*** outta everybody

:shock:

LOL, I know how it works though so it makes sense to me.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

hahaha. i figured it out, the spring got rolled up unfer my half moon gear not letting it through the case all the way. thanks very much for the help!
nysnowborder
Spree
Spree

Post by nysnowborder »

haha yeahhh......................... well i think that can be considered the worlds worst but most helpful drawing :lol: :?:
1987 Honda elite 50 s
keli pulley
rebuilt motor
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

haha. but i do love the MS paint drawing.