Old "pal" needs help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mrece
Noob
Noob

Old "pal" needs help

Post by mrece »

A common question I know...about de restricting an old 1991 Honda Pal.

I have read all the forums, dismantled the exhaust ( which is original ) cleaned out all carbon etc. Drilled out as many restictions I could find, then removed carb, no restricting washers found anywhere, cleaned this. New spark plug. Reassembled the thing still cat get any more than 40kph. Even downhill the engine asks as a brake keeping the sped low.

Could it still be the exhaust as the outlet hole is about the size of the end of my little finger.

Starts well, idles well, reliable...but 40kph tops.

Any ideas guys....?? incidentally what is the electronic thing on the carb for?

It has no variator just cetrifugal clutch.
Wheelman-111

Old Pal

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Mrece submits:
I have read all the forums, dismantled the exhaust ( which is original ) cleaned out all carbon etc. Drilled out as many restictions I could find, then removed carb, no restricting washers found anywhere, cleaned this. New spark plug.

You've been more thorough than most. Model year and provenance might help you get more info.
Reassembled the thing still cat get any more than 40kph. Even downhill the engine asks as a brake keeping the sped low.
Knowledge of the Pal is limited on the Forum, even more with Wheelman. However your main restriction may be different gearing even than the Spree. Pulley mods, different belts and bigger rear tire may be the only way to break 25 MPH, unless you can get the engine to produce higher RPM without self-destructing.
Could it still be the exhaust as the outlet hole is about the size of the end of my little finger.
That's true of most all stock exhausts. It's hardly ever the limiting factor.
Starts well, idles well, reliable...but 40kph tops.
Any ideas guys....?? incidentally what is the electronic thing on the carb for?

You evidently have not read all the forums. Search "bystarter". It's a clever sort of automatic choke/cold start assist.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

The Pal has the same basic engine as the Spree. Both of mine do have the variable front pulley. This makes the takeoff faster but does not add to the top end. 40 kph is about what they are supposed to do but my stock one will sometimes get to almost 50 kph. Your drive belt may be worn. This will reduce the top speed. For ideas to increase performance look for my posts "spree test bed for mods". Where are you located?

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Ok fellas i have imported many pals from japan. This is basically the elite e model, with a few minor differences. Now there are two different pal engines. One is the exact dupplicate of the usa elite e engine and one has a
wider kick starter cover than the elite e usa engine. Now I have refurbished over 200 pals in my shop, and this thing should go about 55 km. Now I have a few questions for you. Have you looked at you belt or broken a belt recently. Also have you checked the rollers to see if they are broke or have flat spots? When you start the scooter is there good air flow coming out of your muffler? This is real important. Did you check the exhaust manifold for carbon build up? I bet that is what is. I use to see that all the time on the pal. Carcon build up in the exhaust maniold will restrict your top end.

Marc