'97 Elite SA ignition

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

teeoce
Goped
Goped

'97 Elite SA ignition

Post by teeoce »

The key and run/off switch do not work on my '97 SA50. I have no way to turn it off once it is running other than to set the idle screw so low that it dies. I have constant spark so there is no key required to run it. I have looked over the wiring (and wiring diagram) and the only noticeable problem with the wiring is related to the starter relay, but I believe this only effects the electric start? Anyone know how to fix this? Thanks
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

The black/white stripe wire to the CDI is open when running, and grounded to stop or in the ign 'off' position.

Starting at the CDI, ground the black/white wire (with engine running). If that will shut down the engine, then its only an open wire/switches or ground in the stop switch circuit.

Highlighted schematic:

teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Alright I grounded the black/white wire directly off of the ICM and the engine continued to run. I'm assuming this means that I have a bad ICM?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Yeah, its pointing to the ICM. But sometimes it's something simple.

Before spending on a new ICM unplug the connector at the ICM, and measure with an multimeter on low (200, 2k ohms) scale between the connector terminal of the harness and ground with the ign in the off position.

That would rule out a broken wire at the connector contact crimp...

Also, eyeball the connector on both sides for that Black/White wire to give you confidence it is not a corrosion or bent contact problem.

Good luck!
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

So measure (as described) the continuity between the black/white terminal and the green terminal on the connector that plugs into the ICM, correct?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

So measure (as described) the continuity between the black/white terminal and the green terminal on the connector that plugs into the ICM, correct?
Sure, the green terminal is convenient. You could use any ground. Just make sure the ign or Run/Stop switch is in the off or stop position.
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Did a check as you described. Was the CDI (ICM), as expected. Popped in another one and everything is working great! Thanks Mouse.