Compression Check

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

teeoce
Goped
Goped

Compression Check

Post by teeoce »

I was wondering what compression should be at when the engine is cold and when it is warmed up. Everyone says 120psi, but how much below that is acceptable?

I have an Elite LX engine and it is only registering at 60psi. I'm not sure how tight I have to get the hose to get a good reading? I'm going to check the reeds next, if they are ok I guess it is time for a ring job.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I dont know the direct answer to your question but my engine had 80psi compression and it wouldnt run. It had one ring stuck... :cry:
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

It wouldn't run at all? Mine has trouble starting but once I get it going it runs good. Just hard to start without dumping gas in the carb/cylinder.
Wheelman-111

Tester Tightness Tip

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The compression tester fitting has to be completely airtight in the plug hole. Any reading is useless without that.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Thanks Wheelman, of WHAC. How do you get the fitting airtight? It is hard enough for me just to get the sparkplug out in that tight space (my hands have possibly grown since I was 15). I purchased the cheap compression tester from Harbor Freight. I disconnect the gauge and basically just twist it in as tight as I can using the tube. Any suggestions?
wikked_spree57
Elite
Elite

Post by wikked_spree57 »

Strange as this sounds, but I used DW's gauge and I only got 45PSI on my Dio motor... and it runs perfect.
1994 BMW 525i 5 speed BEAMER TIME
1983 Yamaha XC 180 - Bought barn fresh in mint condition and 254 miles. Best bike I ever owned :)
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

teeoce, tightening it like you did should be good. Maybe you could rent a tester from Autozone or other auto store (Possible better quality). Are you using electric start and wide open throttle when testing? If not, try that.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

My electric start doesn't work. I used kick start with WOT. How much does warming up the engine make a difference?
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

teeoce wrote:My electric start doesn't work. I used kick start with WOT. How much does warming up the engine make a difference?
Do it and find out ;)

Proper check should be done warm, 100-110psi warm is limit
projects galore :nerd: