Sparkplug issues? Engine turns over but won't start...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tacomascoot
Noob
Noob

Sparkplug issues? Engine turns over but won't start...

Post by tacomascoot »

The scoot finally started with a little love when I first got it (about 5 months ago) but it just stopped one day and wouldn't start again. The engine would turn over but it wouldn't start. I had my uncle take a look at it (he's really into go-carts and stuff) and he got it to start again by messing with the spark plug wire. It ran for about 3 and a half miles better than it's run before, even getting up to a little over 30 miles an hour, before it did the same thing. Now it won't start at all.
Do you guys think the sparkplug is the problem again? And if it is, is this a symptom of another problem? How can I get that sucker to stay in place if it turns out it's loose again?

Thanks.
toboggan
Elite
Elite

Post by toboggan »

I'd try a new coil. maybe you have a short somewhere, or that coils just burnt up.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Sounds like you need a new coil wire and connector, auto parts store should be able to hook you up, go with copper or steel core wire.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

well first you want to test for spark. Unscrew the spark plug cap and get a pair of rubber handle needle noose pliers. Make sure the bike is the on position. Touch the tip of the spark plug wire against a ground(head, bolt,ect) and then hit the electric start. If you see and hear the spark snapping on the ground you know your electrical is most likely good.
Now it might be compression. That sounds more like the problem. See if a honda scooter sits for a while the combustion chamber will slowly start to fill with oil. Gravity pulls oil into the chamber throught the oil pump. This will cause a scooter to sometimes start and run for a bit after they have sat with weak compression. What model scooter do you have?