86 spree will die if throttle isn't constantly being revved?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

berssf06
BMX
BMX

86 spree will die if throttle isn't constantly being revved?

Post by berssf06 »

Hello, my spree was working fine until i stopped at a traffic sign and it just revved down until it stopped. I started it again and it sort of tries to take off right off the line and the throtle sounds odd as well. It continues to die still if the throttle isnt being revved. If anyone can help let me know. Thanks
evilone
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by evilone »

Pilot jet, clean carb.
2001 Honda Elite
1995 Yamaha Jog
1994 Yamaha Axis

I can't believe
that cop put me
in the backseat
when I clearly
called shotgun.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

Pilot jet, clean carb.
wonder if thats my problem on the tomos. :?
~2004 Geely Fashion~
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

yep it is the pilot jet for a fact. the pilot jet is the long skinny jet. I use a pair of vice grips. lock the vice grips on the pilot jet as close to the base as poosible. Then gently turn the jet as you pull. Then use a air house to blow it out. If that doesnt work use a torch and it will burn the debri out.. Tehn blow it out again with compressed air.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No need to remove the pilot, breaking it is likely and you cant order a new one.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Spreetard
Elite
Elite

Post by Spreetard »

i think it safe to say that vice-grips will forever NOT be on my list of tools i grab to work on my carburator. EVER. :shock:
mankind has spent several thousand years developing tools, starting with shaped sticks and rocks, tools which are equal in likelyhood to be involved in my carb cleaning as said vice-strips.
that being said, the carb is single most common problem with a stock spree. by this point, i just find myself cleaning the carb as preventative maintnence when i'm bored and it's too cold out to ride. :D
Ol' Red
1987 Spree, 42mph on 49cc (gps)
Broken...
Spreeio
1987 Spree
With af16e powah!!!!
77cc Malossi Ministroker, 24mm oKo, 30mm V8 pipe.
Chinabike 3000! GY6 clone daily driver/ beater machine bought for $75!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Haven't cleaned my carb in over a year of infrequent running, thanks you stabil.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

tazland001 wrote:yep it is the pilot jet for a fact. the pilot jet is the long skinny jet. I use a pair of vice grips. lock the vice grips on the pilot jet as close to the base as poosible. Then gently turn the jet as you pull. Then use a air house to blow it out. If that doesnt work use a torch and it will burn the debri out.. Tehn blow it out again with compressed air.
Let's put it this way: If you've never done this before, don't try it now. Almost everyone ends up breaking the idle jet doing this. And the guys that can pull this off rarely need to.

The only guy I know that can do this reliably is Greg uspmale@yahoo.com; he has some sort of fixture for getting into these.

A sewing needle, gently applied, will sometimes clean these out (it won't go through, but will unobstruct them.) Or you can put it in a carb dip bucket.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

Thanks for the help reducing my problems to the carb guys.
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Re: 86 spree will die if throttle isn't constantly being revved?

Post by berssf06 »

So I finally got some time to get to work on the carb and.......the thing is loosely hanging onto the two large bolts with a large gap resulting. Could this have been my problem because the carb seems pretty clean to me...should I clean it anyway now its off. But was that the poblem...or the needle valve? Thanks
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

berssf06 discovers:
......the thing is loosely hanging onto the two large bolts with a large gap resulting. Could this have been my problem
I don't know if it's YOUR problem, but galdurn it - that IS a PROBLEM. :shock:

Solution(s)

1. Tighten bolts. If the the threads are stripped (likely), then....

2. Follow Wheelman's thread tapping advice, tap some new threads for brand new bolts.

3. Use bolts/washers/nuts, and cinch that thang back up TIGHT!

Confuscious say: "If air get suck inside carb....carb not worky so hot!" :lol:

CaptDan>
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Captain humorously submits:
Confuscious say: "If air get suck inside carb....carb not worky so hot!"
Actually it worky too hot. As in lean mixture and rapid meltdown. I'm surprised if it even starts, but you wouldn't want to run it for long if it does.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

I put carb back on tightly, but wont get going. So I cleaned carb and replaced...now it seems there is barely any vaccum to the petcock. Cleaned petcock and still no vaccum. Could i have replaced carb wrong? Im so lost....help?
Videonut
Spree
Spree

Post by Videonut »

The petcock is vacume activated you need a vac to get fuel to flow. if there is no vacume then there is a leak in the line going to the petcock or you still have a leak in intake manifold. try using a little bit of starting fluid to get it started then spray it around the manifold and see if it revs up if it does it has a leak. or if you get it started put your hand over opening of carb and listen for hiss to see if you have a leak. maybe your muffler is clogged too? i think there is others here who have burnt out the mufflers on these sprees. my spree has never needed cleaned out but i am thinking of puting on a aftermarket mufler (the little crotch rocket kind,,, not sure
Videonut
86 spree with honda cb750 rear shock
xr50 knobby tires, 32mph on slightly restricted craftsman air filter.
Scooter was stolen so i have to make it look good again
berssf06
BMX
BMX

Post by berssf06 »

Found the culprit. The hose going to the larger of the two outlets on the petcock has a crack. This should be the problem then eh? A small crack would really lose all that vaccum power?