My Spree broke already!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

My Spree broke already!

Post by MaskedJellybean »

I had my Spree running fine for about 8 hours. (not continuously of course) Then as I was driving it on a dark street, I ran over a large pothole. Immediately afterward, I started to lose speed and power, finally the engine and lights just completely shut off and I rolled to a stop. I later got it to start up again, but now it can't seem to get above 10 MPH. I cleaned out the carb (following the directions on this site) and checked the air filter, but it's clean. I played around with the air intake and throttle adjustments on the carb, but that didn't make a difference, so I put them back where they were. Since I didn't know how to do anything further, I took it to a repair shop (I know I should have posted before I took it in) and I'm still waiting for them to call me. I really hope it's not something serious, but I suppose it is. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

my spree died after riding off a curb and it was my rings. which also destroyed my piston. i dont think that is what is wrong with yours if it starts again tho. when that happened to me i had 5psi of compression.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

Was that expensive to replace?
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

about 60. but it destroyed my piston, so i head to get a new piston too.
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
Davcon
BMX
BMX

Post by Davcon »

I did that once and it turned out to be a wire popped off the coil. Plugged it back up and it's all good.
MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

Wel,l I hope it's not a piston, but on the other hand, I hope it's not something as stupid as a wire popped off, since I sent it to a mechanic. lol.
Oh well. I'm supposed to find out tomorrow since they still haven't gotten around to looking at it.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

lol. thats how it goes
87' spree (SOLD
12' wrx
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

when mine stopped running for a bit at first it was as simple as the gas hose being kinked, then it went to it overheating.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

happened to me several times. I checked the most obvious first and i was right. The spark plug wire was not seated all the way on the plug.
You said this happened right after you rolled over a pot hole. It could have jarred the plug wire loose. Always check the simplest answer to the problem first before you take it to a money hungry mechanic or scoot shop. A shop not far from me charges 75.00 to check out a carb.
I am definitely in the wrong business.
Davcon
BMX
BMX

Post by Davcon »

Mine was one of the wires off the coil. Still ran (arcing) but bad missfire at open throttle. (Go figure :) )
Last edited by Davcon on Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

Yeah, I'll have to check all those simple things if it happens again. And they still haven't even looked at it. aaaah.
MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

Turns out, when I hit the pothole, some dirt went up into my muffler. They had to blast it with a blow torch to get it out. So my Spree worked fine for an hour, and now I have a completely new problem! Yes! :evil: As I was driving, I just suddenly lost all power. Now I can't start it at all. Not even with the kick start, it won't go down. When I do the electric start, all it does is make a clicking noise and the back lights go out for a split second. Could it be the spark plug? Because isn't that part of the ignition process?

All I can say is I'm getting pretty * at my spree. It left me without any power in the middle of a ghetto, and I'm a skinny white guy. Does anyone else seem to have some sort of trouble every time they drive somewhere, or is it just me?
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

you spark plug thingy prolly came of!
MaskedJellybean
Spree
Spree

no it was on. I took it off afterwards though to look around town for a replacement and of course nobody had one in stock.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

As far as your spree just dying as you drove it could be several things.
1 Thats what mine did when spark plug wire jarred loose.
2 Could be your carb is plugged with a little particle of dirt or debris.
3 Could possibly be a bad or dirty plug.
You also say you can"t kickstart it and makes a funny sound with electric start.
1 Make sure your battery is charged or hook up charger to it while trying to crank it over with electric start.
2 If your kickstart seems jammed then you will have to take kickstart cover off and see what the problem is.
3you may have a bad starter or starter pinion gear.
4 Check to make sure there are no disconnected wires.
5 If you haven't downloaded th spree shop manual i would do so now.
It will definitely come in handy if you want to work on it yourself.