What's normal take off?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

What's normal take off?

Post by Scooterspal »

My "stock" 85 Spree runs well for an old gal. I keep her very clean, spark plug is nice and brown. Cleaned the carb this season.

My question is what's normal when you ride. On level ground, when all warmed up, she will start off slowly and then gradually build up to 25-30 mph. She is decent on hills easily getting to 20 to 25... after a bit of travel.

I've always thought this was the way this little baby runs. Never saw another Spree to compare it to.

Enlighten me, please.

BTW: I weight around 150 if that makes any difference : )
Last edited by Scooterspal on Wed May 20, 2009 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelman-111

0-60

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Sounds normal to me.

Flash's 0-60 time is measured by the calendar. :oops: Tall gears.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: What's normal take off?

Post by CaptDan »

Scooterspal requests:
Enlighten me, please.
And then he reveals:
BTW: I weight around 150 if that makes any difference :
Son, YOU are the embodiment of the gravitational pull Hondasan envisioned when he created Da Spree. :) I - having 44 pounds on ya- confer a greater strain on my '84 model (same mechanical specs as your bike), and thus, experience slightly less spirited performance.

On flat ground, I can push 26-28 mph, sometimes 29 with a 5% downward grade and no adverse breeze on the bow. 31.4-35mph downhill. But, quite honestly, I don't feel comfortable riding the bike above 29mph; the durn thang's too squirrely in the suspension dept. :shock:

All things considered, it seems to me this incarnation of Spree-age seems happiest in that <25mph> groove. :o

CaptDan>
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Sounds about right...does it feel like acceleration peaks around 12-15mph? That is how my spree feels and that's the only time you can do a wheelie with your feet on the floor...hang on!
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

My "quoted" speeds are off the dash. Does the spree suffer from the same rather generous +5mph offset as other small scoots?

My friend has an internally powered GPS. I'm hoping to coax it from him long enough to take it for a spin in order to get my true speed.

I love this little scooter. I own a Honda Elite CH250 for the longer weekend rides but the Spree is what I take to the office and use around town. My daily driver.

Wheelman-111

Spree-age

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Great pic! I recoommend you lock 'er up with a PeeWee Herman-style chain everywhere you go. The petcock cover alone commands thousands in ransom price.

Scooters, like all Japanese bikes seem to suffer from an Oriental Optimism of about 8-12%. It does deter speeding tickets in School zones, but for the error to reach 5MPH you'd have to be going at least 50.

A quick compensatory measure is to install a 3.0 front tire if it'll fit. Flash now reads nearly dead accurate with my Nuvi GPS thanks to a Pirelli 90/90 up front.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

wow, my spree is beat to all * compared to that
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

You are correct, sir.

At home I have my scoots locked to the center lolly column in the garage.

I did sink I steel post in the ground last year where I park her at my office. Need to get into the habit of using the cable lock. :wink:

I'd be heart broken if anyone stole either one.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Don't tell anyone here where you live... :)
Wheelman-111
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I cannot believe that anyone who frequents this forum would stoop so low as to pilfer someone elses Spree.

That's shameful and downright not very nice.

... but just in case I'll be locking her up all the time from now on.

So there!
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I strapped a Garmin Nuvi to the top of my Spree this morning and did a test ride. According to the Garmin I'm about .5 to 1 mile off on the odometer.

The odometer is reading a tad high... as expected.

I also did a run with WOT on a level road and got 29.1mph as my top end speed. Also, as expected.

Now I can sleep nights :D
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I've found the Honda speedos are pretty close compared to what I get on GPS (as accurate as mechanical automotive used to be). Chinese bikes I can't vouch for.

I have a '53 Chev PU that's almost the exact same color: Bright Poly Blue.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You'd also asked about bulbs, but then deleted your post, so I'm putting my (long) response here:

The Spree bulb sealed into a glass case, and they run about $40. Total wattage is 25W.

Guys have, using a dremel or such, removed the bulb from the glass case and installed something brighter, using putty epoxy to retain. Keep in mind your charging system may or may not keep up with the larger bulb I've never measured or looked into the current capacity of the system.

Depending on the final fore-aft filament placement and wattage, you may end up with something brighter but less effective. I'd suggest getting a used one on Ebay and experimenting on it with a stand-alone power supply if you're serious, and maybe using modelling clay as a temp holder.

Heat is also a concern; at some point you'll overheat the assembly with a large bulb, but then how far do you ride it?

If this all seems too much, may I suggest an add-on light source with a switch for night use? I'd install it over the horn cover.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Scooterspal enthuses:
I love this little scooter.
That is, quite possibly, among THE finest looking Sprees I've ever seen.
And I REALLY like the complimentary color on the 'cruising trunk.' :)

Yeah. Guard that gem with yer life, there, Boss. :wink:

CaptDan>
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I cannot take credit for the paint job. The previous owner, a gentleman older than myself... and I'm already old... apparently did it.

It was originally a red Spree.

I now have large white round Peace symbols on each side over the rear wheel. I also found a new rubber floor mat on Ebay last year and thats on there now.

Together with my bright yellow helmet, this scooter does turn a few heads when I ride.

BTW: I deleted the post on the headlight because I found, searching for the part, it was a single sealed unit. I may just do as you suggest and buy one and try to install a brighter lamp.

These old eyes, they don't work like they once did.