transmission help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mountainman
Noob
Noob

transmission help

Post by mountainman »

Hi Everyone,

First of all, awesome site. I've found lots of info on here. I have a 1984 spree that my girlfriend and i picked up for a couple hundred bucks. I've tuned it up a bit (cleaned the carb out, adjusted idle, seafoam, etc.) and it runs great, but it tops out at 40k. I guess that's about 25mph for the americans.
It accelerates strong to 40 and then just stops at that speed. It climbs steep hills at 40 too. I was thinking it could be a problem with the variator not opening up enough, but i wanted to see what you guys thought. Is there a place to buy variators or weights for a bike this old?
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

If it is a spree it does not have a variator. If it has a variator it is not a spree. They are mutually exclusive. The Spree has a fixed gear drive ratio. You can increase top speed, but it will come at the cost of bottom end acceleration. See the pulley mod discussion if interested:

http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1023[/url]
mountainman
Noob
Noob

Post by mountainman »

Thanks,
I was used to working on Yamahas and didn't realize the spree didn't have the variator. I managed to find a service manual for it.
We live in a pretty hilly area, so i'm guessing the pulley mod isn't for me. I was just hoping to get it to 30mph, nothing crazy, so that drives to the lake will go a bit quicker. What does a spree normally do stock?
Wheelman-111

Bigger Tars

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

You could consider a larger rear tire the next time a replacement is indicated. I've heard/read that a 2.75 is no problem suggesting that a 3.00 is possible. Others will opine.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
mountainman
Noob
Noob

Re: transmission help

Post by mountainman »

Thanks for the advice wheelman,

I put a 2.75 tire on the back and it added about 5km/hr to the top speed. It took a bit of work to get it to fit without rubbing, i had to take a grinder to the kickstand and remove a bolt off of the back fairing under the rack, but now she'd going good.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend covered the entire scooter with rhinestones and glitter while i was away, and now i just can't ride it with a straight face. I went out and bought an old zuma to look slightly manlier.