Close to Fixing My Bogging Problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hatin rain
Noob
Noob

Close to Fixing My Bogging Problem

Post by hatin rain »

I've been working on my 1987 Elite SE50 over the last few days and I'm moving in the right direction. When I started, the throttle was pretty much unresponsive and the engine bogged whenever I gave it gas. I've found that the problem went away when I moved the needle valve to the top notch AND removed the airbox cover. :D It now runs fairly well (to my standards) and has much more torque at the rear wheel. Now my question: What should I do to make it run the same way with the airbox cover installed? I've cleaned the carb once and I'm sure a second time wouldn't hurt. I don't know what size main jet it has installed. I know I'm headed somewhat in the right direction, but somebody help me out... Thanks.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Is there any reason that the main jet would be different from the stock jet? Did you change carbs, or just not sure? If you're not sure, it's the first thing you need to check.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Is this a stock bike or a modified one? If it's modified we need more info on what's different before we can start suggesting solutions.

Bogging usually implies that it's a very hollow sound where the engine is usually running too lean possibly causing a lot of harsh mechanical * symptoms under load which is a dead-on sign that's it's too lean.

Sputtering sounds like more of a spitting noise where the engine sounds like it's drowning, which is the sign of it being overly rich.

Removing the air filter makes it run leaner also.

Moving the clip to the top on the needle makes it leaner, the bottom makes it richer. Since you moved it to the top, it's running very lean in that power range. If the carb is stock, I'd start looking into checking the choke first then moving on towards checking for obstructions in the path of air which may indicate why you are perhaps running too rich.
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Was there a jet in it? Don't know if it would run without one but just a thought. Check to make sure the bystarter is working properly and also check to make sure that your float is working properly. Check your air filter and replace if it is bad.
hatin rain
Noob
Noob

Post by hatin rain »

To my knowledge, the engine is totally stock. I'll buy a carb rebuild kit and clean it again. That will let me check out the float and main jet more closely. It has always idled well, but the engine wanted to die when I gave it gas. I'm not well versed in carb tuning, but I believe it was running too rich because the problem essentially went away when I removed the airbox. I'll post an update once I'm able to tear into the carb to check things out. Thank you.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You don't need a rebuild kit, you do need to tear into the carb and see what's going on inside.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
chris-scooter
Noob
Noob

Post by chris-scooter »

Sounds just like the prob my 86 has and i have took carb apart 2 times..