Gas not flowing.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

novak883
Noob
Noob

Gas not flowing.

Post by novak883 »

Hello new to Forum, which looks great, by the way. I have a 1986 Spree that sat for a few years and so I cleaned out Carb , new battery, new plug. Problem is, it will run only gas that is put into carb then dies. I cleaned out gas shut-off valve and blowing on outlets sem to work the diafram. Any ideas on my next step. Grand son will enjoy this as much as my girls did if I can get it giong. (with your help appreciated) Thanx
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: Gas not flowing.

Post by hondaman »

I would determine for sure if gas is getting to the carb by sucking on the vacuume line and see if gas comes out of the fuel line. If gas is getting into the fuel line and carb then the next step is to clean out the carb again very thoroughly. It is obviously a fuel problem since the engine runs when you put gas in the carb. I suspect that your vacuume valve is stuck closed and will not allow gas to enter the carb.
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

Assuming the petcock (gas valve) works when you suck on the bottom hose line the next step is to run a paper clip in and out of the tube (vacuum port) it connects to on the intake manifold.

I purchased some used parts recently and this tube was competely blocked on the spare part. No way gas was getting to the scooter it came from.
novak883
Noob
Noob

Post by novak883 »

Thanks, I assume the petcock is working as I'm getting gas under vaccum, bowl is full of gas , but still not getting to cylinder. I'll clean the carb again, and hopefully........
ThaNKS again for the response, I had been thinking the petcock was bad ( diaphram ) so that saved me that cost.
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

First you said it would run with gas in the bowl but not off the gas line and then you said (last post) it will not run with gas in the bowl.

If it runs with gas in the bowl but then runs dry you are not getting gas to the carb and if the petcock works (you sucked on the bottom hose line and gas came out nice and steady) then it would seem the vacuum from the intake port is not reaching the petcock.

My reason for suggesting you run a paper clip down that tube to clear it. If that still does not work you may have a breach in the manifold or reed gasket. You can check for a vacuum leak by spraying carb cleaner around the intake manifold. If the engine revs up you found your leak!
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

There is another item to remember as well. If the vacuume valve is stuck open your carb will flood out. If you disconnect the gas line from the carb and gas keeps flowing out until the tank would be empty, then it is stuck open. Gas should only flow into the gas line when a vacuume is applied to the vacuume line.
xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

Post by xsh0rty »

i too think it is a vaccum problem.....

remove the vaccum line (bottom, smaller hose) from your carb, keep it attached to the petcock on the other end, and suck on it a little with your mouth, you will feel/hear gas traveling down to your carb; open the drain valve on your carb, to make sure gas is flowing.

also make sure your lines are tight and secure.

if gas is flowing.. next step i think would to double check the float valve.
novak883
Noob
Noob

Post by novak883 »

Thanks to all responders, the beast is running. I test drove about 3 miles and no problem, I tried all suggestions and think it was the petcock finally lossened up nad worked right at hte right time ( when I was testing it ) . __Another Spree on the road__. Thanks again to all for the info. Also cleaning carb again just before it started running could have been it. ?????