help with the spark plug

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kaisersolsai
Noob
Noob

help with the spark plug

Post by kaisersolsai »

Forgive me in advance for my ignorance on this matter, I am a handy person, a great carpenter, done a little work on cars, but i don't have extensive experience working with scooters. I am looking to replace my spark plug -i think.

I bought an '86 spree from craigslist about a year and a while ago- and its been great. I never did any work to it, other than get a new battery (and then the auto start worked, which was a great day) . I let it sit (indoors) for the winter, and now it doesn't start (with the auto start.. i've tried kicking it, but after 20-30 minutes i wanted to just make the auto work)

I think that a new spark plug is in order yes?

The problem is i don't even know where it is located. Where do I find it, and how does one properly remove it?

Thank you
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Re: help with the spark plug

Post by Lamb »

you might also try cleaning out the main jet in the carb while you're at it (common maintenance on the spree)

the spark plug is located (beneath the body panels), on the right side of the spree on the cylinder block, with a single black cable plugging into the top of it. pop the cable off, wrench out the spark plug, and you've got it.

i actually just replaced my '86 spree's plug today. the stock plug is an NGK BPR6HS-A, but the guy at advance gave me an autolite 4123, and it's working fine.

check out the service manual for anything you need first: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=37
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Re: help with the spark plug

Post by hondaman »

Take off one of the side panels and you will see it. Take it out with the proper spark plug socket. If you let the bike sit over winter without adding Stabil to the gas or better yet draining the carburetor then your carb is probably all gummed up. You will then have to remove the carb, take it apart, and clean everything inside with carb cleaner. That means removing the jets inside and spraying cleaner through their little holes. Never let the scooter sit for any length of time without adding Stabil to the gas and running it through the fuel system.